Dreaming of achieving lustrous, smooth, silkier, and stronger hair? Having hair care goals often makes us try a wide range of hair care products. This is usually followed by advanced treatments like hair smoothening, straightening, or keratin treatments that give your hair a newer look. Among such people who go for these treatments is the question, ‘is smoothening good for hair?’ If you are trying to opt for it to get rid of frizz and damage to your hair, here’s a blog to help you.
Our hair is the crown we wear every day. Some of us are gifted with naturally hydrated, straight, and soft hair, while some have dry and frizzy hair, which eventually becomes difficult to manage. However, various uncontrollable lifestyle and environmental factors, including genetics and lifestyle patterns, are responsible for it.
If you’re tired of wavy, frizzy, or rough curly hair and the false promises of saving your hair strands from chemical treatments, then you should pick a natural hair smoothening solution for curly hair. This article will enlighten you on different aspects of hair smoothening. It includes its treatments, benefits, common mistakes, and tips for taking extra care of hair post the smoothening treatment.
What is Hair Smoothening?
Hair smoothening is a chemical process that helps manage frizzy and unruly hair. This treatment incorporates a formaldehyde solution to saturate the hair strands, set in a straight position with a flat iron.
*Safety Tip: We suggest you apply a mild and toxin-free onion scalp serum before exposing them to the heat of hair styling tools. This would protect the strands from the excess heat that may damage the hair strands.
Is Hair Smoothening Good for your Hair?
Regarding the debate on ‘is smoothening good for hair or not?’, you need to understand that it is a safe chemical procedure that involves special creams and hair masks to moisturize frizzy hair. The duo dissolves the molecular bonds that make your hair curly but do not change its cellular structure. It is effective and does not harm if done with safety and precaution.
However, if you’re looking for a quick and natural fix, you can also pick a natural smoothening treatment by Mamaearth. The Mamaearth Rice Water Hair Mask is an effective treatment that will help you treat split ends and damaged hair and make your tresses healthy, shiny, and long with utmost care!
Benefits of hair smoothening
– Long-lasting effect: Hair smoothening offers many long-term benefits. Its results may last up to two to five months, keeping your hair trouble-free. (These results may depend on factors like growth rate, type of hair, level of curl, and post-treatment care too).
– Easy process: If you wish not to go to the salon, you may try at-home hair smoothening treatments. They usually do not require any special tools. You may gently apply the hair care products with your hands and follow the instructions properly to get the expected results.
– Doesn’t promote damage: Unlike hair straightening, hair smoothening for thin hair is a process that does not permanently affect the hair’s structure. It results in lesser hair fall, split ends, breakage, and evenly smoothed hair for a certain duration. In addition, it will make you prone to less ironing and heat.
– Enables hair revival: Hair smoothening is a process that losses its effect over time and gets washed off within months. So, if you’re trying to get the previous texture of your hair back, you should wait for a few months. Then, after 2-5 months, you can regain your old hair without waiting to grow and regain its natural look.
Digging into different hair smoothening techniques
1. Blow drying: Blow drying is one of the quickest methods to give you soft, manageable hair and can be set perfectly if damp. However, this technique takes around 20 minutes and can wear out within 48 hours. Remember to apply heat protection or hair spray that protects hair from heat damage.
2. Hair straightening: Hair straightening is a process that is done with a flat iron, which will help achieve super soft and straight hair.
3. Keratin treatments: Keratin is a natural structural protein easily found in our hair, skin, and nails. They’re also found in several hair styling products that strengthen the hair while smoothening them. There are three types of Keratin treatments, which involve the usage of flat iron.
– Brazilian blowout: It involves using chemical methyl glycol or formalin solutions, which release formaldehyde vapors in the air. It is compatible with bleached hair and lends smooth and lustrous hair. It takes approximately 3-5 hours.
– Thermal hair conditioning: It is also known as the Japanese straightening technique. It involves the usage of a chemical solution that consists of a glycolic acid derivative called Thioglycolate. In this process, there is less protein loss than in other treatments.
– Non-Formaldehyde hair smoothening: These are the hair smoothening treatments that do not involve the usage of formaldehyde. They can’t make your hair smooth and straight for long enough but use softer and silkier.
Using Rice Hair Mask as a hair smoothening agent
Natives in China, Japan, and Asian countries have been using rice water for centuries. Rice water is beneficial for hair as it contains the essential amino acids, Vitamin B, Vitamin E, and essential minerals, nutrients, & antioxidants that help in restoring the hair’s health.
We advise you to pick Mamaearth Rice Hair Mask if you’re looking for a chemical-free smoothening treatment. Here’s how it can help us smoothen out hair and help with faster hair growth.
– Detangles hair: Backed by Keratin and other essential minerals, the rice water helps soothe and detangle your strands. It reduces frizz and makes the hair strands more manageable. Keratin also gives your hair a shinier look.
– Gives a silky smooth finish: Rice Water and Keratin give your hair a smooth finish. They have essential nutrients (like minerals, proteins, and Vitamin E) that lend your hair strands a shiny finish.
– Thicker and healthier hair: This natural and toxin-free hair mask contains the goodness of Milk Protein, which leaves the deeply conditioned and nourished.
– Promotes hair growth: You may supply your hair with essential minerals, vitamins, and antioxidants if you opt for a rice water-based hair care routine for hair strands. These nutrients will promote faster hair growth and make the hair strands thick and long.
– Fights environmental aggressors: Loaded with essential minerals and antioxidants, a rice water hair mask can help reverse hair damage and promotes cell regeneration that can cause due to dust and pollution.
Know the at-home procedure for hair smoothening
If you want to revive your hair strands with the help of the at-home hair smoothening process, you should follow these steps for hair smoothening thoroughly. But you should also ensure that a hair stylist or an expert assists you as they’re professional in various hair care treatments.
Step 1: Prep your hair for the treatment by washing it thoroughly with a natural & mild hair cleanser and conditioning them with a hair conditioner.
Step 2: Blow dry your hair as it will remove the traces of excess moisture from the hair.
Step 3: Divide your hair into four sections using pins.
Step 4: Gently apply a natural Keratin solution to each section of parted hair. With the help of a thick-teeth comb, spread the solution on your hair. Let it stay for 25-30 minutes.
Step 5: Let the hairstylist wash your hair and blow dry again. Ensure a 2-3 meters distance between your hair and the blow dryer.
Step 6: Apply a natural hair mask on your head, such as Mamaearth Rice Water Hair Mask. Wear a shower cap to cover your head. Rinse it after 20 minutes using lukewarm water.
Step 7: Blow dry your hair and then use a flat iron to straighten your hair 8-10 times at high temperatures, which would seal the effect of the solution.
Post-smoothening hair care tips
After the smoothening procedure, you might fall in love with your smooth hair. But you should take the utmost care of your hair. Here are some tips that you should adhere to.
– Avoid washing your hair for the first three days after the treatment. After that, do not expose them to even a single drop of water while bathing.
– Avoid tying your hair in a tiny ponytail style or pinning or tucking for at least 2-3 days, as it can damage the hair.
– Wash your hair with a sulfate-free hair shampoo after three days. Then, we advise you to call in your hairstylist and use lukewarm water for washing the hair. Don’t expose your hair to extremely hot water, as it can snatch the moisture from the hair follicles, leaving them dry and frizzy.
– Apply a leave-in hair conditioner after the hair wash. It will nourish the locks as well as lock in the moisture content.
– Pick mild and natural haircare products to limit the adverse effect of harsh chemicals if used in the treatment.
– Avoid oiling your hair for at least 10-12 days after smoothening. After that, massage your hair and scalp with natural hair oil, such as almond oil, tea tree oil, onion oil, or coconut oil. It will help replenish the lost protein in damaged hair.
– While sleeping, you need to make sure that your hair remains straight. You may have to compromise your relaxing posing structure for at least three days. Do change your pillowcase also.
– Apply the hair masks regularly that will keep the moisturizer layer alive on your hair. You can create your hair masks at home, also. Before applying a hair mask, it would be best if you gently detangle your hair with your fingers.
– Do inculcate sufficient protein in your diet by adding foods containing biotins- such as fish, chicken, and dairy products.
– Practice regular trimming to avoid any split ends or uneven hair. It also helps you get a healthy hair look.
Did You Know? Regular sessions of hair smoothening (for men or women) help tackle common hair problems like dullness and frizz. In addition, they also make the hair look natural and appear soft.
Common mistakes to avoid
People often commit several mistakes in maintaining their smoothened hair, which can permanently damage their hair. Therefore, avoiding these mistakes while smoothening your hair would be best.
– Avoid flat ironing wet hair.
– Don’t skip the blow-drying process.
– Don’t skip the moisturizing process, even if you’ve short hair. The hair smoothening for short and long hair works well when you ensure regular moisturization by applying conditioner once a week.
– Ensure that your hair is detangled before applying a Keratin solution.
– Avoid flat ironing your hair too often.
– Avoid picking hair care products from different brands as they don’t complement each other.
Wrapping it up
Smoothening is good for hair and has gained quite a fame in today’s beauty industry. Educating themself about the treatments, precautions, and risks. In addition, this treatment alters the hair structure as you’ll get smoother and shinier. We advise you to pick natural solutions for smoothening your hair before going in for chemical treatments.
We are a home-grown hair care brand and we offer a wide range of hair care products made of natural ingredients. We are Asia’s 1st MadeSafe Certified Brand that formulates natural ingredients and helps get healthy and lustrous hair.
- Is hair smoothening harmful to hair?
No, it isn’t if done properly. If you want to smoothen your hair naturally, you can look for various natural products that can smoothen it without damaging it. It would also help you introduce positive changes to your lifestyle, such as timely sleep cycles and a better grade of nutrition in your diet.
- Which is better, smoothing or keratin?
While both treatments ensure shiny, soft, and frizz-free hair, Keratin therapy is easier and may last up to 5 months. Also, it nourishes the hair from deep inside the roots.
- How long can hair smoothening last?
Hair smoothening lasts up to 2 to 5 months.
- Can I oil my hair after smoothening?
It is not advisable to oil your hair after smoothening for at least 10-12 days. However, you can massage hair oil after 15 days after the treatment.
|Popular Search Terms|
hair cuticle, best soap for skin brightening, what is mild shampoo, Non Comedogenic face wash, serum for face, skin brighting body wash, how to apply serum on the face, how to get thick hair, how to control hair fall for women, salicylic acid uses for skin, hair breakage, How to remove pimple scars?, chapped lips, cream for face, thick hair, how to use concealer, best toothpaste, body spray for women, how to treat dry skin on face, how to stop grey hair naturally, how to get rid of dandruff and hair fall, Tea tree oil for acne, is honey good for face,Is rice water good for hair?, how to hydrate skin, what is pigmentation on face, Premature graying of hair, what is spf in sunscreen, rice bran oil benefits, how to apply serum to hair, what causes hair fall, what is hair serum, how to use toner on face, honasa, best shampoo for hair growth and dandruff, sulphate free shampoo india