From several skincare remedies to chemical treatments, the shortcut to skincare is easy yet expensive today. But a simple ingredient in your kitchen cabinet can brighten your skin. It is none other than the sweet, sticky golden-colored substance – honey. So, you may now ask yourself, “Is honey good for the face?”
Trusted by millions of people worldwide, this sweet, amber-colored liquid offers various health benefits. It is a natural humectant for the skin that brightens the skin and makes it softer. Therefore, it is one of the most effective ingredients that can be used for skin in winter when our skin often becomes dry. With all its benefits, honey is good for your face and can do wonders for your skin.
We would share the endless potential of this golden liquid from which you can benefit in your daily lives. Give this article a quick read to learn some of the facts about honey and how to build a healthy skincare routine.
What is Honey?
Honey is a sweet, dense, golden-colored liquid. It is extracted from the nectar secreted by bees as they wander through many flowers during the day. After collection, honey bees return to their honeycombs to store the liquid to eliminate excess water. This process helps the natural sugar condense and transform collected nectar into honey.
Packed with nourishing benefits, honey can be directly applied to the face because it offers numerous benefits for your skin, throat, face, and hair. It is also a natural sweetener for foods and drinks. From antibacterial benefits to extremely nourishing benefits, it has been one of the favorite potions of everyone apart from nutritionists, dieticians, and beauty experts.
Did you know that a honey bee makes an average of half a teaspoon in her lifetime? Whereas just an ounce of honey can fuel a bee’s flight worldwide! So the bees fly 55,000 miles back and forth to bring honey.
Why Honey for Skin?
Since honey is a natural humectant and emollient, it is considered good and healthy for the skin. Backed by essential antioxidants and flavonoids, it can give you healthy, youthful, and glowing skin. You can unlock its true potential when mixed with natural and healthy ingredients in the kitchen, such as turmeric or milk.
Benefits of honey for the face
Being a time-tested ingredient for various ailments, honey has gained fame in the medicinal industry apart from becoming the only kitchen ingredient. Enriched with nourishing and therapeutic properties, the golden liquid cures many skincare woes.
Here are some of the benefits of applying honey on the face:
1. Acts as a healing agent: One of the perfect remedies for treating your wounds is applying honey. It contains antibacterial, antioxidant, and anti-inflammatory benefits.
It has the necessary acidic properties to balance the skin’s pH levels and promote faster healing. In addition, its osmotic effect helps draw out the water content from the damaged tissues and bacterial cells, which assists in reducing inflammation.
If you want to boost the healing process on the skin or face, you should make a paste of honey and turmeric for the face and apply it.
2. Works as a good moisturizer: Being a great humectant, honey has natural moisturizing properties that seal the moisture in the skin and make it soft and supple. You may have noticed it as a base ingredient in many skincare products. In addition, honey also contains several enzymes that help moisturize skin cells.
If you’re looking for a perfect body hydrator, you may try Mamaearth Honey Malai Body Lotion. It is free of any harmful toxins. It not only moisturizes the skin deeply, but it also imparts glow to the skin.
3. Effectively reduces stretch marks: Honey contains natural antiseptic properties that make the skin extremely soft and healthy. In addition, it fades away the scars by slowly making them light and fading continuously.
4. Helps with acne removal: Backed by antimicrobial properties, raw honey helps eliminate harmful bacteria on the skin. Applied regularly, this amber-colored liquid may even help reverse the damage to the skin.
In addition, honey is rich in glucuronic acid that gets converted to glucose oxidase, which may help dry out acne. Other essential nutrients soothe skin inflammations and reduce the redness of the skin.
5. Acts as a Gentle Exfoliator: Honey can deep cleanse your skin by gently exfoliating your delicate facial skin and skin by removing dead skin cells. It is better than artificial exfoliators that often harm the skin and suck up all the natural oils of the skin.
If you want to use it as a gentle exfoliator, you should mix it with baking soda or sugar & lemon. Do rub the mixture gently on the damp face or body in circular motions.
6. Treats Skin Conditions: Prolonged exposure to various harmful environmental effects can clog the skin with excess oil and dirt, leaving the skin prone to several skin conditions such as Eczema and Psoriasis.
Honey contains antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that remove excess oil from the skin and eliminate clogged skin pores. As a result, it prevents the formation of pimples, acne, blackhead, and whiteheads.
7. Offers skin-brightening properties: As honey offers hydrating and moisturizing properties, it also makes the skin glow brighter. It effectively reduces tan marks and gets rid of spots & blemishes.
Backed by beneficial nutrients, such as amino acids, antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals, honey is good for the face as it combats free radicals and enhances the skin’s overall complexion.
8. Reverses signs of premature aging: As the skin becomes quite dry, it forms fine lines and wrinkles on the face. Honey is loaded with natural antioxidants that reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles on the face.
Apart from essential antioxidants, it delivers the right amount of hydration that repairs damaged skin and strengthens skin barriers. This will help in enhancing the skin’s elasticity.
4 Effective Home Remedies for Glowing Skin Using Honey
Honey is a natural ingredient that is suitable for all skin types. It is nourishing and soothing to the skin. While you can apply it directly on your skin, mix it with some kitchen ingredients and make a perfect face mask for face packs.
Here are some popular home remedies you may try at home using honey:
1. Honey and Oatmeal
Considered one of the perfect natural scrubs, it is one of the best for controlling signs of aging. First, mix oatmeal in a bowl, add honey, mix it well, and apply it to the face. Then, gently scrub it and leave it on for 10 minutes. Wash it off later with lukewarm water.
2. Honey and Coconut
Loaded with natural enzymes, Coconut oil and Honey together inhibit bacterial growth. You can create this mix by mixing one tablespoon of honey and two tablespoons of coconut oil. Gently apply it on your face, massage it in a circular motion, and then wash it off with lukewarm water.
3. Honey and Milk
A time-tested mixture that dates back to the fabled times of the Egyptian queen Cleopatra. Applying honey and milk can lend so many nourishing benefits to the skin. Backed by antimicrobial properties, honey and milk for the face together make a perfect cleanser for the skin.
While honey helps clear the impurities from clogged pores, the lactic acid in milk contains an alpha-hydroxy-acid that naturally eats away dead skin cells. As a result, they leave the skin hydrated, soft, and glowing.
4. Honey and Egg
Considered a perfect moisturizing mask, this mask will not leave any stone unturned to give your bright glowing face. Mix one egg white and one tablespoon of honey in a bowl and gently apply it on your face. Rinse it off after 10-15 minutes.
Setting up a honey-based skincare routine
Aren’t you yet impressed by the benefits and want to put this golden elixir into your skincare routine? While you can directly use honey in its raw form by making a homemade remedy, you can also consider using some honey-backed skin care products.
Here’s how you can set up a honey-based skincare routine at home:
1. Purify skin in minutes: Your skin can get clogged with all the environmental stressors such as impurities, pollutants, and harsh weather when you head out. This may hurt the tender texture of our skin cells.
But you can get rid of all the dirt, grime, and other environmental pollutants by regularly cleaning your face with a honey-based face wash for your face. First, however, you can consider using a honey-based body wash for your skin.
It is advisable to pick a natural, toxin-free, and dermatologically tested cleanser such as Mamaearth Honey Malai Face Wash and Body Wash. Apart from being loaded with the goodness of honey, it gently cleanses the skin and imparts a brightened glow to the skin.
2. Practice exfoliation regularly: While over-exfoliation is a practice that should be avoided, you can practice it once or twice a week with a mild and natural face scrub. It assists in scrubbing off the dead skin from your skin’s outermost layers and impurities stuck in deeper layers of the skin.
Consider picking a natural, mild, and toxin-free honey-based face scrub such as Mamaearth Honey Malai Face Scrub. Enriched with honey and Malai, it gently exfoliates the dead skin cells from the skin’s layers and helps you achieve smooth and bright skin.
3. Don’t forget toning: Following an AM-PM toning routine is essential for achieving healthy skin and a brighter glow. A face toner deep cleanses your epidermal layers and reduces acne but also treats acne, tightens pores, and maintains the skin’s pH balance.
It is advisable to pick a gentle, nourishing, natural face toner such as Mamaearth Vitamin C Face Toner for a brightened and healthy glow. Infused with Vitamin C, it tightens the open pores, restores the skin’s pH levels, and gives a brightened glow to the face.
4. Masking your face: Nourishing your most exposed body parts becomes crucial to maintain healthy skin and retain the glow on your face. That’s when face masks come in handy. It supplies the skin with essential nutrients, making it smooth, supple, and bright.
While you can create one using honey and turmeric for the face, we offer you to try Mamaearth Ubtan Face Mask. It is loaded with Saffron and Turmeric, which assists in revealing the true glow of the skin. It also helps reduce sun tan and other forms of hyperpigmentation.
5. Don’t forget to moisturize: Whatever the circumstances are, do not forget to use a body lotion on your body and a face moisturizer for the face after bathing. It keeps the skin hydrated, moisturized, soft, and supple and imparts a glow.
Also, remember to throw face cream on your skin, such as Mamaearth Honey Malai Day Cream. Apart from nourishing the skin, it protects the skin from UV rays.
Consider applying Mamaearth Honey Malai Night Cream before going to bed. It will help nourish the epidermal layers of your skin. Next, hydrate your facial skin with Mamaearth Honey Malai Face Moisturizer for the face. It is non-comedogenic and softens the skin.
6. Mid-Day moisturization is essential: If you feel heavy on the skin during the day, consider carrying a face gel. Not only it soothes skin inflammations, but also it gives a youthful glow and deeply moisturizes the skin.
Some lesser-known facts about honey
1. Honey never gets spoiled- archaeologists believe the honey taken from the Pyramids was edible enough despite being packed for over 3000 years. It can last longer than its expiry date if stored in an apt environment.
2. A normal beehive can produce honey that weighs about 30 to 100 pounds a year.
3. At any time, honey is a natural and healthier substitute for regular white sugar.
4. Honey is a natural instant energy booster. Many athletes and fitness enthusiasts trust this ingredient to promote endurance.
5. Honey is good for the face and inner body as it is rich in antibacterial properties that prevent infections.
Wrapping it up
Using honey for the face can be one of the best decisions of your life as it contains nutrients that ensure a healthy and glowing beauty regime. You can apply raw honey to your skin or use honey-backed skincare products. But before buying it, practice a patch test on your skin.
Mamaearth is Asia’s 1st Made Safe Certified brand and it offers a wide range of safe, gentle, and toxin-free skincare products. Our skincare products are dermatologically tested to suit all skin types.
- Is honey good for the face?
Honey is good for the face as it contains antibacterial and antiseptic abilities and may benefit oily and acne-prone skin. It's also a natural humectant, which keeps the skin moist always.
- Can I use honey on my face daily?
Yes. You can use honey on your face daily as it gently exfoliates and hydrates the skin simultaneously.
- How long should I leave honey on my face?
Applying honey to the skin for 10 or 15 minutes is extremely beneficial, but leaving honey on the face overnight balances the skin barrier. You may use it effectively for acne-prone skin.
- Does honey remove tan?
Yes. Honey assists in removing tan from the skin. However, it is best to mix it with saffron and turmeric to make a paste. This paste may be applied twice a week to remove sun tan and hyperpigmentation.
|Popular Search Terms|
hair care tips, biotin for hair, best facial kit, how to reduce dark circles, how to increase hair growth, what is glycerin, what are blackheads, bath soap, how to take care of skin, How to moisturize skin , hair cuticle, best soap for skin brightening, what is mild shampoo, Non Comedogenic face wash, serum for face, skin brighting body wash, how to apply serum on the face, how to get thick hair, how to control hair fall for women, salicylic acid uses for skin, hair breakage, How to remove pimple scars?, chapped lips, cream for face, thick hair, how to use concealer, best toothpaste, body spray for women, how to treat dry skin on face, how to stop grey hair naturally, how to get rid of dandruff and hair fall, Tea tree oil for acne