Saffron benefits our skin in some of the healthiest ways. This red-colored flower offers medicinal, antibacterial, and pharmacological properties. Its regular use helps us have a glowing and radiant appearance too. Costlier than gold, this traditional spice from Kashmir is mainly used in cooking as a seasoning or coloring agent.
Out of the many skincare ingredients we constantly see on the market shelves or on our social media feeds, saffron on face has maintained its special place. Known as kesar in India, this red-colored spice is often found in our kitchens and nearby Ayurvedic stores.
As the scope of research and development widens, innovative formulas and products are being created using natural ingredients. Skincare experts are busy finding more uses for this red-colored spice to treat various healthcare and skincare concerns.
What is Saffron?
Derived from the flower of Crocus sativus, saffron is a scarlet-colored thread-like pistil, which is believed to have originated primarily in Greece. Each flower has three blooms, which have a single stigma, and are collected by hand and dried to form the spice. It has a vibrant gold and red-colored appearance that adds flavor, fragrance, and medicinal value to the food.
The medicinal benefits of saffron for skin care often come topped with this flower’s healing properties. Many people have used it in medicines, teas, and baths to help cure ailments. Saffron for face has a strong and exotic aroma and a bitter taste.
The rarity of these flowers is due to the requirement of special climatic conditions, low yield, and human labor. This also makes them expensive. It is expected that one thousand flowers are needed to produce just one ounce of saffron. Each blooming bud produces only three pistils, so it takes much time to produce the flowers. One also needs to harvest them with hand and then dry the flowers for 12 hours.
Note: Use of Vitamin C Serum helps in slowing early skin aging, prevent sun damage, and improve the appearance of dark spots & wrinkles.
Benefits of Saffron for Skin Care
Using saffron for the face helps remove many blemishes and offers a natural glow. In addition, it gently removes blemishes like dark spots and hyperpigmentation. Here are some other saffron skin benefits of this Ayurvedic ingredient:
- Shields the skin from the sun’s UV rays: The skin is the most sensitive part of the body. It is important to protect it from harmful environmental stressors, such as UV rays and pollution.
This rare Ayurvedic spice contains natural antioxidants such as Vitamin C, which protects the skin from environmental damage and free radicals. Enriched with essential vitamins and minerals, saffron face cream will heal sun damage and combats signs of premature aging.
- Treats hyperpigmentation: Prolonged exposure to the sun’s UV rays and hormonal changes may lead to more melanin in the skin. This may cause hyperpigmentation and dark patches.
Saffron benefits for skin care are driven by the presence of the active compound crocin, which reduces melanin by inhibiting the enzyme tyrosinase. This flower also offers gentle exfoliating properties that help remove impurities and make the skin radiant.
TipGet rid of hyperpigmentation and dark spots with Mamaearth’s Ubtan Body Scrub. It features Ubtan, Saffron, and Walnut that brighten the skin tone by lightening the dark spots and exfoliating the skin.
- Removes tan: Treating tanned skin means brightening the skin by treating the affected areas. Using saffron for skin whitening helps brighten the skin and bring out the skin’s natural radiance. It is of particular significance because it treats tanned skin without causing any harm.
- Brightens skin: As discussed above, kesar is known to exhibit skin brightening properties. This flower’s anti-aging and anti-inflammatory properties promote blood circulation and improve facial appearance. It also stimulates the skin regeneration rate by stimulating collagen production and boosting firmness.
- Fights fine lines and wrinkles: This flower also helps alleviate multiple signs of aging like fine lines and wrinkles. Packed with rich antioxidants and minerals, kesar benefits for skin by inhibiting skin inflammation and repairing the damaged skin.
If you suffer from these irritating fine lines and wrinkles on your face, we advise you to apply Mamaearth Ubtan Night Cream. This safe, gentle, and toxin-free skincare product features Saffron, Turmeric, and Rasbhari. It helps treat and combat various signs of aging by boosting blood circulation and improving the skin’s texture. It also keeps the skin cells hydrated through the night.
- Heals wounds and scars: Saffron is an effective skin recovery agent backed by amazing wound healing abilities and antiseptic and antibacterial properties from within. Using a saffron cream for skin whitening encourages cell turnover, which helps in disinfecting and healing the affected area.
- Reduces ingrown hair: This is one of the best uses of saffron for skin. Ingrown hair is a condition when hair grows back into the skin, irritating some people. If you want to get rid of ingrown hair quicker, exfoliating and soothing creams enriched with saffron can be your best pick.
Exfoliating creams remove the dead layer of skin cells. This helps release ingrown hair, while soothing creams hydrate the skin, making it smooth and supple. It is safe and gentle on all skin types and for people of all age groups over fifteen years.
Removes Hair in 8 Minutes | Delays Hair Growth
Suppose you are trying to remove unwanted hair permanently and inhibit its growth. In that case, we advise you to opt for the Mamaearth Ubtan Nourishing Hair Removal kit, which is enriched with Turmeric, Aloe Vera, and Saffron. It is a pain-free solution for removing hair in just eight minutes. The presence of Aloe Vera in it would further keep the local skin free from irritation during the removal process.
- Reduces inflammation: Backed by flavonoids, tannins, alkaloids, and saponins, saffron offers multiple benefits for skincare too. It reduces irritation and allergies caused due to oxidative stress on the skin, thus reducing other related hassles.
- Works as a toner: Recent times have significantly noticed the importance of toners in an effective skincare routine. Toning helps get rid of bad toxins deep in the skin layers. You can easily create a saffron toner by adding a few strands of saffron to pure rose water.
Soak the cotton ball in it and wipe your face to cleanse it. We advise using saffron for oily skin if you have oily skin. It would help control oil secretion and remove excess sebum from the skin pores.
Health Benefits of Saffron on Face You Should Know
Saffron contains two major carotenoids, Crocin and Crocetin, which possess anti-tumor and anti-inflammation effects. Let’s have a look at some of these healthcare and wellness benefits:
- Makes us sharper: Backed by antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, saffron extracts can promote the health of the nervous system. It makes us sharper and more attentive. It may also slow down the spread of Alzheimer’s or Parkinson’s.
- Improves digestion: Many studies show that saffron offers antioxidant and anti-inflammatory benefits. It also treats lipid disorders, gastrointestinal disorders, and helps strengthen the digestive system.
- Promotes heart health: Rich in Thiamin and Riboflavin, saffron reduces the risk of heart disease by encouraging blood flow. It thus promotes better cardiac health and prevents related issues like palpitations and variable BP.
Its antioxidants make arteries and blood vessels stronger and reduce inflammation. Eating some kesar every day could also regulate blood cholesterol levels.
Saffron and Your Daily Skincare Routine
Kesar finds multiple mentions in Ayurvedic medical texts. As a potent medicinal plant, it also helps draw out toxins from the skin cells and makes its appearance more apparent. This red-colored flower also nourishes the local skin cells to withstand pollution and adverse climatic conditions better.
Deeply Cleanses | Unveils Glow | Gently Exfoliates
Step 1: Cleansing
Rinse your face and body with a gentle cleanser in the morning and night. Next, massage the face wash all over your face using gentle, pulling the dirt and impurities out of the skin pores, unclogging the skin pores.
You may try Mamaearth Ubtan Face Wash. It comes enriched with carrot seed oil, Saffron, Walnut Beads, and Turmeric. This safe and toxin-free face wash helps brighten the skin, repairs sun damage, treats tanned skin, and restores your natural glow. You may also apply some soaked saffron leaves on your face overnight. It will help exfoliate your skin gently and improve blood circulation, thus making it smooth and glowing.
Recommendation: You can also opt for mamaearth acne-fighting and antibacterial salicylic acid face wash.
Step 2: Toning
After cleansing your face, tone your skin with toxin-free face toner, as it will help remove dead skin cells deep from the skin layers.
Step 3: Exfoliating
Regular exposure to pollution and stress can make your skin dull and dry. Scrubbing your face with a toxin-free face scrub will remove dead skin build-up that causes bad skin health. Practice exfoliation only 2-3 times a week.
We advise you to pick Mamaearth Ubtan Face Scrub, enriched with turmeric, walnut, coconut oil, and saffron for skin pigmentation. It promotes even skin tone by exfoliating the skin gently and removing tan. And you can also add Mamaearth Bye Bye Blemishes Pigmentation cream to your skin care routine.
Step 4: Applying a face mask
Applying a face mask after exfoliation is crucial as it attracts all the leftover impurities and hydrates the skin. When applying a face mask on your face, there are many saffron face pack for skin whitening that you can create at home using natural ingredients such as sandalwood, honey, milk, olive oil, sunflower seeds, almonds, and much more.
Step 5: Moisturizing
Applying a face moisturizer or face cream hydrates the skin and locks moisture into the skin. L0ok for a lightweight and oil-free moisturizer that should have SPF 30 or higher. You can opt for Mamaearth Ubtan Ultra-Light Gel Oil-Free Moisturizer, which is enriched with Kesar uses for skin and Turmeric. It brightens the skin and provides 24-hour hydration, making it smooth, supple, and soft.
If you are looking for a light moisturizer, you may opt for a face gel moisturizer that gets absorbed into the skin easily, providing 24-hour hydration and improving skin tone.
Saffron or Kesar is a popular spice that boasts a varied nutritional profile for skin and health. It is easy to include it in one’s diet or apply it to the skin directly using natural products. If you use it moderately, it won’t cause any side effects. However, to be safe, we advise you to conduct a patch test on your skin first.
It always helps to opt for a skincare brand that offers only safe, gentle, and natural skincare products. We are Asia’s 1st MadeSafe Certified Brand and offer a wide range of products made of natural ingredients. We also recycle more plastic than we use, thus reducing our carbon footprint and making the world more sustainable.
- What is saffron?
Saffron is a spice derived from the flower of Crocus sativus. It is used as a food coloring and flavoring agent. In addition, saffron extracts are used as a fragrance in perfumes and as a dye for cloth. Also, many skincare brands have started using saffron because it contains nourishing and brightening properties for the skin.
- Is saffron good for the skin?
Yes. Saffron or Kesar is rich in medicinal, antibacterial, and pharmacological properties, making it a go-to ingredient for home-based skincare routines. It helps fight acne, pigmentation, and inflammation and treats dark spots. It is also rich in antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals that help enhance skin tone.
- Does saffron whiten the skin?
Saffron offers skin brightening properties that help encourage blood circulation, provide oxygen to the skin, and leave it with a brighter and radiant appearance. It lightens the skin by treating hyperpigmentation.
- Can we use saffron daily on the face?
Yes. Saffron contains several beauty benefits and antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties, making it a perfect ingredient to be included in your daily skincare routine. It is also great for exfoliating the skin, and thus clears up minor blemishes like acne and dark spots easily.
- Does saffron improve skin color?
Yes. Constant use of saffron can improve your skin tone, smoothen its texture, and brighten your appearance. It can also help reduce excessive sun tan and thus provide a natural radiance. In addition, this red-colored flower helps treat hyperpigmentation, acne, and scars and helps you have a blemish-free appearance.
|Popular Search Terms|
Best Scar Removal Cream, Acne and Pimples, Skin Care Routine for dry skin, Blackheads and Whiteheads, Uneven Skin Tones, Ashwagandha Benefits, Neem benefits, Hair Care Tips, Best Oil for baby Massage, Serum, Sunscreen, How to remove dark circles, how to remove tan, Skin Care Tips, Arrowroot Powder, Citronella Oil, Coconut Milk Benefits, Acne Marks Vs Acne Scars, Hibiscus Uses, Double Cleansing, Sulphate and Paraben Free Shampoo, Green Tea Benefits for Skin, Cucumber Benefits for skin, Conditioner, Perfume, Deodorants, Serum, Sunscreen, Scrub, Honey Benefits for skin, Shikakai Benefits for Hair, Wrinkles on face, Strawberry Benefits for Skin, best ubtan for body whitening, amla hair products for natural hair