Over the past few years, people have been shying away from synthetic products, especially for their skincare and haircare needs. The heat has been mostly on products made of harmful chemicals and toxins. This trend has given rise to sulphate and paraben free shampoos in the hair care and beauty industry. Being safe and gentle, these products are favored by many experts who are in awe of the countless benefits.
Your face and your hair are the two things that people notice first. The lustrous and shiny hair on your head adds to the appeal of your face. Nowadays, most hair care products contain toxins and harmful chemicals. They stand opposite to a better class of haircare products called sulphate and paraben free shampoos (and their matching conditioners).
Finding a suitable set of hair care products always takes time and patience, especially for people facing issues like dandruff and excessive hair fall. The only safe guess we may make is knowing the type of our hair and the way it reacts to different ingredients. We can then narrow our search to some of the available natural options in the market.
What are sulphates? How do they affect your hair?
Sulfates are a group of chemicals, detergents, or surfactants that are added to cleansing products to make them lather and cleanse the scalp. Effectively used in household products, they work up by attracting both oil and water. They remove dust, grime, sebum, and dead skin cells from the scalp.
Some skincare and hair care brands use Sodium Lauryl Sulphate (SLS) and Sodium Laureth Sulphate (SLES) in their soaps and shampoos. Even though they use a gentler version of these chemical agents, we advise you avoid using these ingredients.
- Skin and scalp irritations: Sulphate salts, when kept exposed to air, react to form sulphuric acid that can irritate eyes, skin, and mucus membranes. They can thus worsen dandruff and eczema, leading to inflammation and itchiness on the scalp.
- Excessive dryness and frequent hair fall: Artificial baby shampoo backed by sulphates strip away the natural oils and other nutrients from your scalp, thus making the hair follicles rough and dry. They also cause frequent and excessive hair fall.
- Fades hair color: Regular washing of your hair with a sulfate shampoo degrades the hair quality as they strip of natural nutrients that give the hair color. If persisted with, this could even decolorize the hair and make it dull.
Checking on hair types that do not respond well to sulphates
Just like our skin, our hair too relates to one type or the other. People with different hair types would react differently to the same hair care product. Some could easily tolerate the harmful effects of toxins in these shampoos while some fail miserably. This is why most haircare experts advise using a sulfate-free shampoo.
Now, let’s learn more about these best shampoo for hair and why you need to get them for your hair.
- Sensitive scalp: People with sensitive scalp should be extra cautious while applying sulphate-backed products to their hair. Poor-quality hair care products may cause itching, redness, and cracking. The sensitive scalp needs hydration, which helps avoid skin conditions such as eczema and psoriasis.
- Chemically treated hair: People with this hair type should opt for the best toxin-free and paraben-free shampoo. Parabens and sulphates take a heavy toll on colored and chemically treated hair. They may also fade the hair color faster than ever, making them look brassy and dull.
- Dry and frizzy hair: People with curly, dry, or frizzy hair should avoid using chemically enriched hair care products because they can make the hair follicles porous. This makes the strands weaker and prone to frequent falling. Have a look on happy heads shampoo, full of natural benefits, keeps hair frizz free.
We advise you to opt for safe and natural sulphate free shampoo for frizzy hair. Sulphates, phthalates, and Parabens can strip oil which may cause unnecessary friction in the hair, leading to hair breakage and an ugly appearance. Our antidandruff shampoo range is made of natural ingredients to protect your hair.
What is Sulphate free shampoo?
A sulphate free shampoo that does not contain surfactants such as Sodium Lauryl Sulphate (SLS), Sodium Laureth Sulphate (SLES), Ammonium Lauryl Sulphate, and other harmful chemical agents can be called a sulphate free shampoo.
Sulphates are added to shampoos to create lather and strong cleansing action, which help remove dirt and impurities when rinsed with water. But these sulphates over-extract the natural oils from the scalp and hair, thus causing dryness and cuticle damage. Have a look on this egg shampoo, coconut shampoo, conditioner shampoo combo range for every hair type.
Benefits of Sulphate free shampoo
With easy access to knowledge about artificial hair care and skin care products, people are becoming aware that toxic hair care products are not at all safe for them. They are switching to toxin-free shampoos (that feature natural ingredients) because they promote better scalp and hair health. Even try body wash combo with shampoo as a good deal.
The following pointers list the benefits of using sulphate and paraben free shampoo:
- Retains scalp’s natural oils: Our scalp produces natural oils that help to nourish your hair follicles which keep them healthy. Shampoos backed by harmful substances such as sulphates and parabens strip off these oils from the scalp. This makes the hair follicles work harder to compensate for lost nutrients, making the scalp greasy.
- Promotes scalp health: Hair products featuring Ayurvedic and natural ingredients help strengthen your hair roots by promoting scalp health. Opting for products made of Bhringraj, Amla, Onion, Tea Tree, and Rice Water will cleanse and nourish your scalp.
- Hydrates hair and scalp: Dry and brittle hair could cause split ends, dandruff, and hair fall. Chemically enriched shampoos strip away essential moisture from your hair, and this causes dullness and frizziness. Natural oils help seal the moisture in your cuticles that repair damaged hair strands, thus naturally lending soft texture and shine to your hair.
- Combats hair fall: Natural herbs like Hibiscus, Bhringraj, and Amla help balance the scalp’s pH levels. They also help reduce hair fall by protecting the scalp from excess sebum. Left untreated, this issue could cause baldness.
- Soothes the inflamed scalp: Prolonged exposure to harmful environmental elements and substances may lead to scalp irritation and inflammation, leading to hair issues like hair fall, premature greying, and increased vulnerability to infections. The best sulfate free shampoo for dry hair will effectively treat the scalp with its antibacterial and anti-microbial properties.
- Retains hair color: Nobody wants to lose the natural color of their hair. But regular usage of chemical-laden shampoos also strips your hair’s color, making it fade faster. A toxin-free shampoo will help retain the scalp’s natural oils, enhancing your hair color by providing a lustrous shine.
- Prevents scalp infections: Rich in antibacterial properties, the sulfate-free shampoo helps you fight several scalp infections such as eczema and dandruff while keeping the scalp and hair hydrated and nourished.
Myth: More Lather means Better Cleansing
Most people believe that a shampoo that lathers more or creates more foam is the one that is better at cleansing the scalp and hair. But this is a myth. Artificial shampoos which contain sulfate produce more lather during hair wash and offer a feeling of an easier and better rinse.
They have an intense cleansing action that strips off the natural oils from the skin, dirt, and oil. The downside is that they also wash away the scalp’s natural oil or sebum and the nutrition stored in the hair roots. This makes the hair weaker and prone to falling. Left untreated, it could also cause baldness.
What should you use instead? You should go with the best sulphate free shampoo for men and women. It offers a gentle cleansing action to remove dust, grime, excess oils, toxins, and dirt from your scalp and hair. However, it would not disrupt the scalp’s natural pH level.
How to use a sulphate and paraben free shampoo?
Washing your hair is a regular activity as it helps maintain a healthy scalp and allows healthy hair follicles. It uplifts our mood and makes us more confident in our appearance. But there’s a proper way to shift to sulphate and paraben free shampoo to get a great wash. Here is what you need to do:
Step 1: Oil your hair first
Oiling is the first step that helps retain moisture after hair wash and shampoo. Apply a hair growth oil to your scalp and leave it for 2-3 hours or overnight. Next, massage your head and scalp with oil to help open pores and rejuvenate the mood.
Step 2: Soak your hair in water
We advise soaking your hair with water before applying the shampoo. This would reduce friction and make cleansing effortless. You should also opt for a sulphate and paraben free shampoo because it would not create excess lather or harm your hair. Finally, be sure to rinse it off in a gentle and timely manner.
Step 3: Apply the Sulphate and paraben free shampoo
Pump the hair shampoo into your hands, apply it to the hair and distribute it evenly. Next, take a thin layer of products across your palms and fingers, which you apply across the scalp. Massage shampoo into the scalp for 3 minutes. After the massage, leave the shampoo for 2 minutes and rinse.
Step 4: Don’t forget the hair mask
As you have thoroughly cleansed your hair and scalp, all the dirt and excess sebum have been thoroughly washed off from the scalp. Now you can provide some intense nourishment to the scalp with the help of a sulphate–free hair mask. Massage and spread it evenly, and keep it applied overnight for the best hydration. Rinsing out the mask in the morning will reduce frizz, seal moisture in your hair cuticles, and keep your hair moisturized.
Step 5: Condition your hair
Apply a plant-based toxin-free hair conditioner after the shampoo if you have long hair. It would help preserve the moisture in hair after shampoo and binds the hair cuticle. Gently massage the conditioner into the scalp, leave for 2-3 minutes, and then rinse.
Step 6: Shield your hair
The best way to protect your hair from harmful effects of the environment and heat styling tools is to apply the hair serum on fresh, washed, and damp hair. Begin using the ends of your hair and work your way towards the middle sections of your hair. If you do not have a serum, you may use nourishing hair oil to nourish the hair roots.
Some excellent hair conditioners you may try!
We are home to a wide range of safe, gentle, and toxin-free hair care products certified by Made Safe and the FDA. In addition to our hair shampoos, you may opt for our super-effective hair conditioners that feature the Goodness of Nature.
You may opt for the following hair conditioners to have the best hair care experience at home:
- Onion Conditioner for Hair Fall Control
Designed to work with the best sulphate free shampoo in India, our Onion Conditioner helps reduce excessive hair fall and detangles hair. Its regular application plays a perfect second fiddle to your shampoo and makes hair smoother. This toxin-free conditioner features onion, sweet almond oil, and coconut triglycerides that help soften the strands too.
Henna Conditioner with Henna and Deep Roast Coffee for Premature Greying
Looking for something that deeply conditions the hair and prevents premature graying? Try our Henna Conditioner that conditions and nourishes the hair to make it softer. It features indigo oil, coffee oil, coconut oil, and henna.
- Rice Water Conditioner with Rice Water and Keratin for Damaged, Dry and Frizzy Hair
You do not have to go to Korea to avail the Sulphate free shampoo benefits of this traditional South Asian hair care remedy. Try our Rice Water Conditioner that reduces split ends and prevents frequent breakage. It features fermented rice water, keratin, and coconut oil for smoother hair and a better hair care experience.
Our body is made up of natural elements. Whether you accept it or not, it requires natural solutions to repair itself and stay healthy. Natural herbal shampoos are sulphate-free and can be the perfect choice for your hair care routine. Whether it is a sulphate free shampoo for curly hair in India or straight hair, it offers long-term benefits in terms of damage prevention and protein retention.
Many products in the market claim to be safe. But Mamaearth’s product range showcases a list of natural and toxin-free ingredients. In addition, our hair care products will help you achieve those lustrous and strong hairs and reduce signs of premature aging from your hair.
- Which shampoo is sulphate-free?
Many brands claim to be sulphate-free, but we advise you to pick the right shampoo after checking the ingredient list and ensuring that it does not contain SLS or SLES. We recommend you opt for the Mamaearth range of sulphate and paraben free shampoo. It is loaded with the goodness of natural ingredients, and comes free from toxins.
- Is sulphate free shampoo good for hair?
Yes. According to studies, sulphate shampoos cause harm to your hair by stripping off the natural oils from the scalp, thus making the hair dry and dehydrated. Sulphate and paraben free shampoo cleanses the hair without stripping off natural oils and imparts essential nutrients to the scalp and hair.
- Why is sulphate not good for hair?
Sulphate strips away too much moisture, leaving the hair dry and unhealthy. This makes the scalp dry and prone to irritation. It also leads to frequent and excessive hair fall, which could even cause allergies or baldness if left untreated.
- What happens if the shampoo is sulphate-free?
Sulfate-free shampoos help retain your hair's natural moisture so that it does not lose its natural shine and softness and offer nourishment.
- Can I use sulphate free shampoo daily?
Yes. Unlike the use of sulphate shampoo which can make the hair rough and brittle, sulphate and paraben free shampoo and conditioner can be easily used without damaging the hair.
- Do sulfates cause hair loss?
Yes. Sulphates are surfactants or detergents that create strong cleansing action, removing the natural oils from the scalp, leading to severe hair problems such as hair loss.
- Why should we use sulphate free shampoo?
A sulfate-free shampoo works for all hair types and saves a lot of trouble regarding some commonplace issues. It is also safe for colored and chemically treated hair. It also helps retain the scalp’s natural pH and moisture and thus keeps breakage and hair fall away. It also prevents infection and helps retain better color.
|Popular Search Terms|
Hair Growth Tips, Hair Loss, Tea Tree Oil Benefits, Hair Fall, Dry hair, Oily Skin, Dry Skin, Glowing Skin Tips, Dark Spots on face, Pigmentation on face, Papules acne, Acne, Pimple, Summer Skin Care Tips, Best Scar Removal Cream, Acne and Pimples, Skin Care Routine for dry skin, Blackheads and Whiteheads, Uneven Skin Tones, Ashwagandha Benefits, Neem benefits, Hair Care Tips, Best Oil for baby Massage, Serum, Sunscreen, How to remove dark circles, how to remove tan, Skin Care Tips, Arrowroot Powder, Citronella Oil, Coconut Milk Benefits, Acne Marks Vs Acne Scars, Hibiscus Uses,