Don’t you love when that rich body butter melts on your skin when applied, leaving your skin feeling soft, supple, and nourished? Or when that aloe vera gel is absorbed into your face and neck without making it look oily? Do you know how these skincare products are able to create a smooth & balanced texture? An all-rounder ingredient known as Xanthan Gum can enhance the texture of the skin. So, now you know that serum gave your skin just that proper hydration it needed?
Most of us would agree that a skincare product we slather on our skin should meet specific criteria, like spreading easily and quickly without taking minutes to massage it until it is completely absorbed. This article will unveil everything you want to know about Xanthan Gum, from its benefits to its uses for skin and hair.
Pro Tip:Try Mamaearth Aloe Vera Face Wash! Loaded with the innate goodness of Aloe Vera & Ashwagandha, it cleanses the skin and gives a naturally radiant glow.
Understanding the Gum – Xanthan Gum
Xanthan Gum is a high-molecular polysaccharide that is used as an additive in skincare and food products. Exceptionally sourced from nature, the Xanthan Gum for Skin naturally functions as a binder, emulsifier, stabilizer, skin-conditioning agent, surfactant, and viscosity-increasing agent. It also works as a thickener in cosmetic products.
How Xanthan Gum Is Beneficial for Skin and Hair?
Many ingredients are used in skincare formulations; xanthan gum is one of them for the multitude of benefits it offers to the products. It is compatible with a wide range of skincare products like moisturizers, serums, skincare masks, and gels, to name a few.
Now, let’s discuss the benefits of Xanthan gum offers several benefits when used in skincare formulations.
- Acts as a Thickening Agent: Xanthan gum gives products a desired consistency or texture, making them easier to spread and absorb into the skin. Depending on the product it has been used for, it can provide a smooth or creamy texture or even a gel-like formulation.
- Acts as a Stabilizing Agent: Xanthan gum for hair prevents the separation of oil and water-based ingredients in haircare formulations. It plays a pivotal role in keeping ingredients stable and well-blended.
- An Effective Hydrator: The inherently hydrating properties of xanthan gum help to keep the skin nourished as the product forms a thin layer of film on the skin that helps to retain moisture for long hours post-application.
- Acts as an Emulsifier: Xanthan gum can enhance the product’s texture by improving its spreadability when used in the formulation.
- Acts as a Protective Shield: Xanthan gum can soothe and calm the skin as it forms a protective barrier that helps shield it against harsh environmental stressors. You will likely see this name in your product’s ingredient list if you have sensitive skin.
Isn’t that a load of benefits that this one ingredient has when used in skincare products? From making your go-to cream hydrating to making the face gel fast-absorbing!
How Xanthan Gum Can Be Used in Daily Skincare Regimens?
Xanthan gum is used as an ingredient in a couple of products, such as face washes, shampoo, and sheet masks. You can try aloe vera gel products formulated for all skin types. Since it has the ability to increase the viscosity of liquids, it provides optimal texture and binds the ingredients in a wholesome formulation. Here are some products that our skincare experts recommend.
1. Setting up a Cleansing Routine: It is mandatory to cleanse your face with a natural face wash in your AM and PM routine gently. Picking a natural face wash will help you cleanse your face without stripping off the natural oils and also give your skin a refreshing feel.
The first and most rejuvenating part of the skincare routine is essential. That’s why you should pick a natural and soothing one. Mamaearth Aloe Vera Face Wash is backed by Aloe Vera & Ashwagandha, which promotes a youthful glow, cleanses, and soothes skin.
Mamaearth Aloe Vera Face Wash
|Available Offer||35% Off|
2. Hydrate your Skin: Another way you can reap the benefit of Xanthan gum is by applying a gel-based face moisturizer or face cream. This quick-absorbing formula penetrates into the skin to keep it feeling fresh and hydrating for a long time. And the best part? It doesn’t leave your skin feeling sticky or oily! Give your skincare a boost by incorporating a day cream and a night cream into the routine.
The best gel-based face moisturizer would be Mamaearth Aloe Vera Oil-Free Face Moisturizer, which provides hydration for 24 hours, soothes the skin, and gets absorbed into the skin within no time.
Mamaearth Aloe Vera Oil-Free Face Moisturizer
|Available Offer||35% Off|
3. Target Skin Conditions: If you have specific skin conditions like breakouts and acne, try a soothing gel that has the ability to combat acne because of its antibacterial properties, soothe and calm the skin. This potent blend is safe for all skin types and is preferred by people with oily and acne-prone skin.
If you’re unable to find a perfect soother for your skin conditions, you need to opt for Mamaearth Aloe Turmeric Gel, which is backed by Vitamin E, Turmeric, and 100% Pure Aloe Vera. It has anti-bacterial properties, which soothe, rashes, acne & pimples. Also, it promotes skin and hair health.
Mamaearth Aloe Turmeric Gel
|Available Offer||35% Off|
4. Protect with Sunscreen: Sunscreen is a must when stepping outdoors to protect your skin from environmental stressors and harmful UV rays that can damage your skin. Reapply the sunscreen every 3 hours when outdoors for complete protection.
5. Nourish with Sleeping Mask: A sleeping face mask provides intense hydration to your skin as you catch up on your beauty sleep. It nourishes your skin so you wake up to rejuvenated and refreshed skin in the morning.
Mamaearth Aloe Vera Sleeping Mask
|Available Offer||35% Off|
6. A Gentle Exfoliator: Xanthan Gum is a sugar-based natural thickener, which is used as a natural cleansing system. This will help you get rid of clogged pores and excess sebum on the skin.
Tip: You can also use a regular aloe vera gel as a face mask to revive dull skin, in the middle of the day, when you feel dryness on the skin.
Summing It Up
Xanthan Gum may not be the primary ingredient but it plays a very crucial part in product formulation and setting up its texture. Xanthan Gum for skincare and Haircare is not at all toxic or harmful to the skin and provide nourishing benefits to the skin. At Mamaearth, we tend to avoid picking any artificial ingredients.
As Asia’s 1st `MadeSafe- Certified brand, Mamaearth stays committed to including safe and toxin-free ingredients in our natural products that remain effective for you and benefit your skin for a longer period.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is xanthan gum in skincare?
It is primarily an ingredient that is diluted and used in skincare products. It is a stabilizing agent that helps to prevent ingredient separation in products. It also helps to improve the texture of a product making it easier to spread and apply.
- How to use xanthan gum?
Xanthan gum is primarily used in cosmetic formulations, where it is appropriately diluted and combined with other ingredients. It would be best not to use it directly on your skin as it can lead to irritation or discomfort.
- Is xanthan gum good for the skin?
When used in a skincare routine, xanthan gum improves the texture, enhances moisture retention, and soothes the skin. A fast-absorbing and quickly spreading formula makes it a perfect choice in moisturizers and face masks.
- Can xanthan gum be used on the face?
Yes, using this ingredient in your daily skincare regime is perfectly safe. It is known to be compatible with all skin types. As a precautionary measure, do a patch test before using any product with this ingredient.
- Is xanthan gum safe for sensitive skin?
Xanthan gum is generally considered safe for sensitive skin, but the results can vary if you have any underlying skin issues. Carry out a patch test before you use any product with this ingredient to ensure compatibility.
- Is xanthan gum good for the hair?
Xanthan gum uses can be found in hair care products as well. You can use the aloe vera gels from the house of Mamaearth that uses xanthan gum for hair. Just take an adequate amount of the aloe vera gel and massage the roots and length of the hair to use as a hair mask. Let it stay 30 minutes, wash it off with shampoo, and follow up with a conditioner.
cetostearyl alcohol,stearic acid,lauric acid, best anti aging serum for 40s,oily hair,seborrheic dermatitis,how to get rid of black spots on face,toner for oily skin,gel based oily skin moisturizer, serum for your hair, smooth hair, under eye patches, anti acne gel, multani mitti, blueberry benefits, fermented rice water, uv rays, frizz hair, greying of hair, silky hair, high porosity hair, how to hydrate hair, calendula, sweet almond oil, stearic acid uses, goat milk soap, titanium dioxide, propylene glycol, allantonin