From beautiful expressions to inexplicable beauty, eyes have been the muse of writers and poets alike. But, as beautiful and unique as they can be, your eyes can make a bold statement. The abovementioned scenario happens when you know how to use eyeliner creatively and precisely.
With the increasing desire to look your best daily, it is important to know certain hacks and tricks that make your life easier. Once you know the correct way to apply eyeliner, you save time and energy and still look perfect in the look you carry! This read will discuss types of eyeliner, how to use eyeliner and everything in between!
Pro Tip: Try Mamaearth’s Soothing Waterproof Eyeliner for bold and beautiful eyes. Enriched with Almond Oil and Castor Oil, it comes with a waterproof and 10-second drying formula.
What is Eyeliner?
Eyeliner is a cosmetic product designed to give definition and precision to the eyes. In addition, it is used to create aesthetic effects when recreating a look for any occasion.
Inculcating the concepts from the Egyptian times when men and women who belonged to the higher society or class applied eyeliner to their eyes. It would be sacred and act as an evil eye protector for them. Today, the concept has been modified further, and these eyeliners are made with several formulations to meet people’s different needs and lifestyles.
Eyeliners today are available in various textures, colors, and formulations that assist in matching up with any look you wish to recreate. Let’s discuss their types and know the difference between each of them closely:
Types of Eyeliner
1. Liquid Eyeliner
The oldest among all the others, liquid eyeliner is still the most used cosmetics in the beauty industry. It comes with a long, thin brush that helps you easily create any look you wish. The case of this eyeliner type is mostly cylindrical as it is the container for the liquid to rest.
It mostly arrives in black, but today, eyeliners come in various colors like blue, brown, or silver. Upon using liquid eyeliners, you can always stay in style, no matter how big or small your occasion is.
2. Pen Eyeliner
One of the newest editions of modernity, pen eyeliners usually come in a sketch pen format. The tip of the nib is fairly pointed and thin to allow you to recreate any look you want.
But you should be careful about how you use it because leakage and broken nib can cause some nuisance. So, you should check after the application for any leakage.
3. Gel Eyeliner
Similar to liquid eyeliners, this is one of a kind that arrives in the same packaging. Gel eyeliners have a semi-liquid texture, which dries up almost instantly when applied to the eyes. Some eyeliners also have an easy ‘peel-off’ feature that eases removal.
However, it is one of the easiest eyeliners to use, provided you have to stay more vigilant when applying it. But this eyeliner requires some serious effort to take it off. Being waterproof, it makes makeup removal a tedious process.
4. Pencil eyeliner
Pencil eyeliners easily add a bold look to the eyes without waiting for the texture to dry. It gives the ‘kohl’ effect to the eyes and can also be used as a kajal.
Pencil eyeliners can also help you add the smudge you need for a smokey makeup look. They help you maintain your look for the day without worrying about melting on your face.
Recommendation: We recommend a smudge-proof formula like the Mamaearth Long Stay Kajal Kohl Pencil, which lasts 11 hours and contains castor oil and chamomile.
Avatars & Journeys: Recreating Different Eyeliner Looks with a Liquid Eyeliner
Different types of eye makeup demand precision and focus. If you are a beginner in using makeup but still wish to learn how to use eyeliner like a pro, we are here to help. Let’s take you through the various looks and how to apply them all:
1. Soft wing – Subtle & Beautiful: If you are new to applying eyeliner to your face, this look can be a good start, to begin with. It isn’t too dramatic but adds a beautiful definition to your eyes. Being the first on the trend list, it has been getting all the attention these days!
You should avoid creating a sharp wing in the corner of your eye. It would be better to pick your eyes’ inward corners as your starting point. You may use it to create a thicker wing while applying the eyeliner above your lash line. This will look subtle yet expressive. An amazing choice for someone who wishes for a no-makeup look but wants to make an eye statement!
2. Sharp-long wing: Vivid & Expressive: Are you a lover of bold makeup looks? Well, you are just in time to see what we have in store for you! A sharp-long winged eyeliner look is for those who love experimenting with cosmetics. One of the hardest styles to master, this look works wonders with dresses and vintage outfits.
The easiest way to master this style is by using duct tape. You can cut and place a small piece of the tape in a slanting position. This will assist in connecting with the lower outer corner of the eye. Then, use eyeliner to get a sharp winged look! It is always easy to use liquid eyeliner, especially if you are curating this masterpiece!
3. Under-eye wing – Strong & Flawless: Attending a late-night party? Need a good eye statement that stands out in every way? The under-eye winged eyeliner look is all you need. It makes a strong statement by highlighting the waterline and the under-eye area, giving a flawlessly artistic look.
To master this look, draw a thin line over your lid and return to the inner corner of your under-eye area. You can use this portion as the starting point of this look and draw one to the outer edge, creating a thick wing in a slanting direction.
4. Graphic eyeliner – Bossy & Artistic: Do you need a look that speaks for your attitude and makes a bold and long-lasting impression? This graphic eyeliner look is all you need! It has a lot of room for you to experiment and simultaneously gives you the edge to look classy, stylish, and artistic.
Make a normal winged look on both eyelids to get this look right on the first try. Then, draw a parallel line to connect the wing to it. Finally, you can shimmer some eye shadow to add glam for a dramatic effect!
5. Thick wing – Classy & Dramatic: In need of a dire change in the usual party look? Do your eyes want all eyes on you? Try the never-disappointing thick-winged eyeliner look! It gives your eyes a bold and definitive look, making them look dramatic and party ready!
To get this look, you should start by making a thick rim around the eye and extend it outwards from the eye. This creativity aids you in making an exaggerated wing and adding the glam you need to start the real party!
6. Edgy wing – Glamorous & Breathtaking: As the name suggests, it gives you an edge over all the other styles by involving both; the upper and lower lash lines. It can give you that vintage feel with its retro vibe, but it is still one of the most practiced eye looks to master!
Recreate this look by drawing a thin line on the upper eyelid and crafting an extended wing on the lower side. Then trace a line halfway under the lid and connect this with the wing you created. Finally, smudge the line drawn on the under-eyelid to add a more dramatic look.
7. Faded wing – Authentic & Precise: Do you love your eye shadow palette? Are you someone who wants the wings but doesn’t want to hype them too much because your shimmers are making a statement? Try the faded wing look to effortlessly add authenticity and precision to your eyes.
This look is created when you are done with eye shadow application on your eyelids. You can create this look by tracing a thin line across the eyelids and extending them to a sharp, edgy wing slanting upward.
8. Double-colored – Vibrant & Diversified: If you have been a little bored of the black eyeliner look, you can always add a pop of colors to your makeup looks! Double-colored eyeliner looks should contrast with your outfit, skin tone, and eye shadow shades (if you apply any).
Use two colors together simultaneously to add a vibrant look to your eyes! You can try different colors, designs, and patterns to add a quirky vibe to your look. Try shades like yellow and red, blue and brown, to speak for your mood!
Note: For deeper shades and a waterproof formulation use Mamaearth Long Stay Colored Kajal which lasts 11 hours and comes in gorgeous colors like Forest Green, Deep Ocean Blue, and Woody Brown.
Mamaearth’s Bestselling Eyeliners
We at Mamaearth come together to create a more sustainable, nature-friendly environment for you to live in. Blending modern technology with nature-powered ingredients that enable nourishment and care, we aim to bring you effective products that solve all your troubles.
Having said so, Mamaearth’s Colorcare Products are another example of innovation brought along with love and care for you. It brings you cosmetics infused with nature’s goodness and the promise of keeping them toxin-free.
One such product that has been winning the hearts and minds of our consumers lately is the Mamaearth Soothing Waterproof Eyeliner. It has the goodness of Almond and Castor oils that ensure nutrition and nourishment go hand in hand.
Some of its major benefits include:
1. Instant drying ability: When purchasing eyeliner, you often look for a quality that meets your last-minute rush-drying time. The lesser the drying time, the better the purpose it serves.
Mamaearth Soothing Eyeliner comes with a ten-second drying time. So, don’t worry about your quick touch-ups anymore because we have taken care of it already!
2. Longer stay: From your meetings to late-night parties – every occasion demands perfection in your look. If you are using a winger that fades away before your clock stops for the day, you need to switch- that too urgently!
Mamaearth Soothing Eyeliner offers a ten-hour long stay after application. Known to be the best eyeliner to use when planning late-night outs or any other occasion, it has a soothing effect on your eyelids and prevents skin irritation.
2. Waterproof: Tired of using makeup that gets washed away before time? There is a difference between washing away makeup and removal of makeup. If you know the difference between the two, your battle is half-won already!
Mamaearth Soothing Eyeliner is waterproof in texture and doesn’t get washed away without proper removal. It stays with you even after you have had a water balloon fight! It is the best and easiest-to-use eyeliner that we currently have.
3. Natural ingredients: Your vanity speaks for your choices. The better alternatives you pick for yourself, the better the results. Natural choices have always proved to give the best results.
Mamaearth Soothing Eyeliner comes with the inside goodness of Almond & Castor oils. The former soothes and moisturizes your skin, and the latter is known to give thicker eyelashes. They combine to give your eyes the nourishment they deserve!
4. Toxin-free: Would you like to be loved when you are just looking your best? Nobody wants to put conditions on love, no matter what it concerns. Using cosmetics that offer nothing but love for your skin also speaks a lot about your preferences!
Mamaearth Soothing Eyeliner is completely free from harmful chemicals like Parabens, Sulphates, SLS, SLES, Dyes, Mineral Oils, and artificial fragrances. In addition, it offers toxin-free care and is not tested on animals.
Eye makeup is an art. But, when practiced and mastered, it defines any look you recreate. While makeup products like foundations and concealers add the perfect base to your face, the perfect combination of Kajal & Lipstick hype the vibe you carry!
Apart from them, lip balm is just what you need to nourish your lips and make them look fuller and plump. Mamaearth has a wide range of lip serums that moisturize your lips and give you the care you need!
From aiming to look perfect throughout the day to being exhausted to remove makeup, we embark on a long journey every day. However, a little self-care and a healthy lifestyle can be your escape to choosing better every day. Be sure to back your appearance with a toxin-free compact as well.
- Can we use kajal as eyeliner?
Yes, kajal can be used as eyeliner. However, if you need precision and definition to add a dramatic look, we suggest you use eyeliner.
- What is eyeliner used for?
Applied on the lower and/or upper waterline of the eyes, eyeliners help make the eyes appear lush and “filled up.” They are also used to create or alter the definition of the eyes on a woman’s face to create the impression of thicker eyelashes. They may also be used to provide a 3D dimension to the contour of the eyes.
- Which eyeliner is best for daily use?
The best and easy-to-use eyeliner should be the one that comes with naturally nourishing ingredients and is free from harmful toxins and chemicals. It should be the one that lasts long and is easy to use. We recommend Mamaearth Soothing Eyeliner as it offers the desired eye look you want and is made from natural ingredients.
|Popular Search Terms|
best compact powder, what causes dark circles, how to reverse gray hair naturally, what is salicylic acid, Why pimples occur on face, What is Keratin & Why is it Essential for Hair, which perfume is best for men, is coconut oil good for hair, makeup tips for beginners, eyeliner styles you must try, how to grow thick hair, pigmentation face wash, best serum for acne prone skin, makeup tips for dusky skin tone, best oily skin moisturizer, facial kit for oily skin, oily skin sunscreen, Oily skin cream, best dry skin face wash, how to do makeup step by step, foundation for oily skin, eye makeup step by step,remove dark spots caused by pimples naturally, do stretch marks go away, what is biotin