Spotted your first gray hair? Everyone would suggest you dye or color those one or two strands of hair. Premature graying is the second most common hair concern we experience these days, the first being hair fall. Those dreaded shreds of silver pop up no matter how hard you try to conceal them.
As you age, the hair follicles mature, and the number of melanocytes decreases. As the hair grows, melanocytes help inject melanin into the cells having keratin. This decrease in the number of melanocytes results in less melanin which ultimately causes the development of gray hair.
Even though gray hair is considered a symbol of your wisdom, having gray hair in your 20s tells a different tale. To treat it, it is imperative to be aware of the root causes that trigger the formation of gray hair. So, let’s check out everything under the sun about gray hair, from bursting myths to exploring solutions to fix it.
Although genetics has a role in graying, once you’re 35 years old, your aging follicles produce white or gray hair to replace the last hair that is shed off.
Why worry about Premature Graying when you have Natural Henna Paste? Enriched with Henna & Dark Roasted Coffee, it provides a rich natural color and conditions the hair.
Myths About Gray Hair
While it sometimes seems difficult to manage gray hair, the myths regarding its occurrence might be overwhelming. So let’s debunk those common gray hair myths and win the battle against those silver strands popping out of nowhere.
Myth 1: Plucking gray hair will grow grayer hair
Plucking any of your hair, be it black or gray hair, is not a good idea. However, it does not add more grays. Your surrounding hair will not turn gray unless the follicles lose melanin. Plucking hair can damage the follicle, which means no new hair. So never pick your gray hair, no matter how tempting it may seem. Remember, gray hair is still better than no hair.
Myth 2: Stress can contribute to silver strands of hair
Stress can contribute to gray hair, but it is not the only factor responsible for silver strands. Gray hair is different colored hair. The cells have a pigment called melanin that gives color to the hair. The absence or loss of a pigment in the hair shaft is typically the reason for coarse or gray hair.
Myth 3: Too much sun makes you go gray
We know exposure to UV rays can accelerate skin aging, but there’s no evidence that this can cause premature gray hair. Nevertheless, excess exposure to the sun is not good for hair because it dries out strands. Besides, gray hair has less melanin, so wearing a hat is recommended. Your hair can only change color gradually as it grows.
Myth 4: The more you color hair, the faster it goes gray
It may look like you have more gray hair once you begin to conceal gray hair with color. But the fact is, the difference in colored and gray hair makes gray hair more apparent when they grow. Additionally, when a color is applied to the hair, the follicle remains unaffected. So, coloring does not contribute to premature grays.
Myth 5: Hair graying is not linked to your lifestyle
Yes, it has to do with your lifestyle. What you eat and drink has an impact on your hair health. Many research sets have linked a lack of vitamins, folic acid, and biotin to premature graying. Smoking can also cause your hair to become gray before age. So, ensure your diet has abundant nutrition to meet your hair’s nutritional needs.
Causes of gray hair
Although there could be many causes of gray strands, colorless hair strands can occur at any age, even in children. If you are in your 20s, you may have gray hair; understand that it is normal. White hair is more noticeable in people with dark-colored hair. There could be permanent solutions for gray hair, depending on the cause. Here are some common reasons for gray hair:-
The genes you carry from one or both parents can produce silver strands at an early age. There is only so much you can do about genetics, but adopting certain measures can help turn your existing grays into black or brown.
2. Autoimmune disease
An autoimmune disease is when the body’s self-healing system (immune system) can’t differentiate between healthy and unhealthy cells, resulting in disorders. Many autoimmune diseases, such as alopecia and vitiligo, can attack healthy hair cells, resulting in the loss of melanin.
3. Thyroid disorders
Hormonal changes resulting in a thyroid problem are also for premature white hair. The health of your thyroid can also affect the color of your hair. An overactive or underactive thyroid can make your body produce less melanin.
4. Vitamin B-12 deficiency
Gray hair color in men can also indicate a deficiency of vitamin B12. Vitamins give health to hair cells, contributing to long dark hair. In addition, the body needs this nutrient for healthy red blood cells carrying oxygen to cells, including hair cells.
Smoking alone is not responsible for premature white hair. But if you are genetically predisposed to having gray hair, smoking can add to the risk. A study has found a connection between smoking and the onset of white hair before the age of 30.
Lifestyle changes as a natural solution for gray hair
If you are worried about your hair turning gray, don’t freak out. We have combed through some expert’s suggested lifestyle changes to help sustain your original hair color for longer. Let’s begin-
1. Get yourself enough vitamins
Lack of vitamin B-12 in your platter is one of the most common causes of prematurely white hair. Researchers have revered that vitamin B-12 deficiencies tag along in people with folic acid and biotin deficiencies. So, their hair turns gray at an early age.
Vitamins that enhance the health of your hair healthy include:
- Vitamin A
- B Vitamins, especially B-12 and Biotin
- Vitamin D
- Vitamin E
2. Minerals are important too
Minerals are equally important in hair growth and repair. Ensure that your diet has enough supply of:
3. Quit smoking
Smoking not only debilitates your health but can damage hair follicles too. It can be tough to reverse the graying process once the damage has been done to your hair. However, you can still avert the progression of premature graying by making little tweaks to your routine. So, you may begin by quitting smoking.
4. Avoid chemically-enriched products on your hair
Certain hair care actions can damage the health of your hair. It includes excessive bleaching and heat-inducing tools, washing your hair with harsh shampoos or conditioners, and rinsing too often. So, if you want to get long, black, and lustrous hair, make sure you are not doing anything that can harm your hair’s health.
Do you know? Our Onion-based Hair Care range is specially formulated to nourish your strands with the goodness of onion and biotin. It is highly suggested for people experiencing intense hair fall and thin hair. If you are experiencing hair breakage, try our onion hair oil and see the difference for yourself.
Gray Hair Solutions: Our Safe, Gentle, and Toxin-free Hair Care Products
Certain easy solutions can help stimulate melanin production in the cells. These remedies are old-school ways to restore the natural color of your hair and prevent graying of hair. Here are the helpful ones for you:-
- Coconut oil: The day before you plan to wash your hair, massage coconut oil onto your hair and scalp. Next morning wash your hair with a sulfate-free hair shampoo. Coconut oil is an age-old remedy for maintaining hair’s color and texture.
- Amla: Drinking amla juice every day will help meet your nutritional needs for vitamin C. Amla is an Indian gooseberry rich in phytonutrients, vitamins, and minerals that restore hair’s color and strength.
- Curry leaves and coconut oil: These leaves work amazingly in restoring the color of your hair. They have vitamin B that helps hair follicles remain healthy and prevent premature graying.
- Amla and fenugreek seeds Hair Mask: Amla hair oil has antioxidants that can help reverse free radical damage in the cells. When mixed with fenugreek, the amino acids can help restore dark hair color, addressing premature graying.
- Black tea rinse: Black tea has tannic acid, which can darken your hair over time. You can use the brewed coffee on your hair (once it cools down) and let it penetrate your scalp. Wash your hair after 30 minutes.
- Desi ghee: Desi ghee, or clarified butter, is a powerful Ayurveda medicine. It helps lock moisture in the scalp and promotes long and black hair. Advocates of natural healing suggest massaging your scalp with pure ghee for rich-colored hair.
- Onion Juice: Onions are the best remedy for premature graying and hair fall. It stimulates catalase, the enzymes which help darken the hair. It is also rich in sulfur, making it an exceptional ingredient for hair.
- Ginger: Eat a teaspoon of freshly grated ginger mixed with one tablespoon of honey. This remedy has medicinal properties if consumed in winter.
- Black sesame seeds: Black sesame seeds are exceptionally good at promoting melanocyte activity. It promotes melanin synthesis, giving you rich black hair. You can have black sesame seeds twice to three times weekly to reverse premature graying.
- Onion: Rich in sulfur, onion juice can help with gray hair too. Blend an onion nicely to strain the juice out of it. Rub the juice on your scalp and leave it for 30 minutes. Rinse usually.
- Carrot juice: Carrots are a rich source of fiber, phosphorus, potassium, and vitamins, including A, K, C, B1, B6, B2 and. It is known to have a profound effect on hair health. Have one glass of carrot juice every day for the best results on your hair.
- Ashwagandha: Also named ‘Withania somnifera’, this ancient medicinal herb can be used in your hair care regimen for healthy hair. You can also use Brahmi powder and Ashwagandha root powder as a hair mask for a deep conditioning experience.
- Rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis): Fill one-third of a cup with dried rosemary and add extra virgin olive oil. Leave the jar exposed to the sun’s rays for up to 6 weeks, shaking it every few days.
If you are stressed about gray hair, our newly launched hair oil formulations will leave you feeling great. Made with nourishing ingredients, our hair care products ensure that your hair receives TLC without introducing harmful chemicals or toxins. From hair cleansers to hair conditioners and serums, we have everything you need to build an effective hair care regimen.
Let’s get started with our amazing range for concerns like gray hair.
1. Henna Hair Oil with Henna & Coffee Oil
Our Henna Hair Range is your answer to problematic concerns like gray hair. Crafted with the traditional goodness of Henna and Coffee Oil, our hair oil deeply nourishes & conditions your hair. It also delays premature graying and imparts a natural shine to the strands. In addition, coffee oil enhances the texture of your hair, leaving it smoother & softer.
It is Made Safe certified, which means it contains no toxins or harmful chemicals, just the goodness of natural ingredients.
2. BhringAmla Hair Oil with Bhringraj and Amla
This Ayurvedic recipe has been passed down through generations. Our BhringAmla Hair Oil blends 15 medicinal herbs called Jadi Buti, such as Bhringraj Oil and Amla Oil, to keep hair strong & scalp healthy. In addition, our BhringAmla Oil is prepared with an ancient process called ‘Kshirpak Vidhi.’ In this process, ‘Kshira’ or milk is combined with different herbs, requiring patience and precision.
It is a 100% natural formula that gives your hair the nutrients it requires for healthy growth. Additionally, it prevents premature graying, reduces dandruff, and enhances the scalp environment. Suitable for all hair types, it has no harmful chemicals or toxins. In addition, you can try our Onion hair care range which has shampoo, conditioner, mask, hair serum, and booster oil.
Gray hair can be prevented by consuming a healthy diet, but for existing silver strands, you might need topical hair solutions. We recommend you try our natural henna paste if you want a natural way to cover your grays. Our henna paste is MadeSafe Certified which means no toxins or harmful chemicals & dyes that could dry & damage your hair.
You can also opt for other ranges to promote hair growth, such as hair growth oil, sulfate-free hair cleansers, hair masks, and everything in between.
- How to stop gray hair naturally? Or Q3: How to reverse gray hair? Or Q4: What causes gray hair?
Gray hair usually results from a mix of interrelated factors like inadequate nutrition, improper sleep cycles, excessive stress, pollution, thyroid, autoimmune disorders, and deficiency of vitamin B. It may also result from heredity. The best way to stop your hair from graying is to understand the dominating reason for the same and take corrective measures. Opting for safe and gentle hair care products will also greatly help.
- How to turn gray hair into black permanently naturally?
It is not possible to reverse premature graying if the cause is hereditary or any autoimmune disorder. Such factors often remove the melanin content in your hair follicles, and make the hair lose its natural black color. One may change one’s lifestyle and dietary preferences, and opt for safe and gentle hair care products that contain keratin to see better results. It is also advisable to include amla, ashwagandha, almond, lemon juice, mehndi, and other such homemade ingredients to make hair darker.
- How to control gray hair?
If you want to control your hair from becoming gray, make sure you consume a diet rich in vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. But for existing gray strands, you can apply Mamaearth’s Natural Henna Paste for rich, naturally colored hair. Featuring Henna, Coffee, Manjishta, Reetha, Shikakai, and Methi, it helps color existing grays while delaying premature graying along with improving & strengthening hair.
|Popular Search Terms|
best waterproof foundation, Is onion good for hair, what is concealer, What are stretch marks, Must have makeup products, how to detan skin, clean teeth, how to remove tan from hands and legs, how to get rid of dry skin, how to remove wrinkles under eyes,neem oil benefits, waterproof makeup, is glycerin good for your skin, dark patches on skin,which face wash is best for oily skin, how to use concealer, rosemary oil for hair, best scrub for glowing skin, how to get glowing skin naturally, how to remove sun tan from hands, how to use shower gel, best compact powder, what causes dark circles, best shampoo for hair, mild shampoo list, sulfur free shampoo