You love that LBD! It makes you look so good, especially after you shed oodles of weight, sweating at the gym and ensuring the diet was followed to the T. But, as you twirl in front of the mirror, you are aghast. There are visible stretch marks on the thigh! And you wonder, do stretch marks go away?
What Are Stretch Marks? What’s the Reason for Their Appearance?
Stretch marks are scars that appear when the skin is stretched beyond its normal capacity. Such changes usually occur during pregnancy, puberty, rapid weight gain, or growth spurts. When the skin stretches rapidly, the fibers in the middle layer of the skin (the dermis) can break or tear, leaving behind scar tissue.
This scar tissue makes temporary marks on different parts of our bodies. These marks are somewhat different from our usual skin tone and are thus distinctly visible as lines on our bodies. These lines are called stretch marks. The good thing is that they are often temporary and can be lightened or eliminated with some smart work.
The appearance of stretch marks
Stretch marks appear as thin, parallel lines on the skin. They are typically on the thighs, breasts, upper arms, hips, and abdomen. In addition, stretch marks will appear on skin areas prone to stretching.
Who can get stretch marks?
Men, women, and teenagers are likely to get stretch marks. Stretch marks can also be caused by hormonal changes, like the ones that occur during puberty or pregnancy.
Here is how the stretch marks are usually found:
- In teenagers, their rapid growth spurts can lead to stretch marks seen on the back, stomach, legs, thighs, and upper arms.
- In women, stretch marks appear post-delivery on the stomach and the thighs as their bodies become normal.
- In men, excessive weight loss after a weight gain can lead to stretch marks. This is also applicable to everyone who has lost weight rapidly.
The relation between hormonal changes and stretch marks
When your body faces excess hormonal changes, it can weaken the collagen fibers in the skin. The weakening of the skin makes it more prone to stretching and tearing.
So whether it is pregnancy, rapid growth spurts caused by puberty, or excessive weight loss, there will be a high chance of stretch marks appearing on your body.
What Are the Different Types of Stretch Marks?
There are two main types of stretch marks that are classified based on their appearance:
- Striae rubrae: These are typically red stretch marks that are newly formed. They can also be pink in color. These stretch marks are caused by the stretching and tearing of the dermis. The stretch marks are red because the underlying blood vessels become more visible.
- Striae albae: These stretch marks are old stretch marks that have faded to resemble a silvery or white color. These stretch marks occur when the blood vessels beneath the skin have narrowed, making the stretch marks less visible.
Classifying stretch marks based on their location
Stretch marks can also be classified based on their location on the body. Some common types include:
- Abdominal stretch marks: These are also known as stretch marks on the stomach. These stretch marks can occur in women during pregnancy when their stomach stretches to accommodate the growing fetus. These stretch marks can also happen in puberty.
- Breast stretch marks: These stretch marks appear on the breast if there is rapid growth or weight gain. These stretch marks are common in women.
- Thigh or upper leg stretch marks: The leading cause of these stretch marks is rapid weight loss or weight gain. Such stretch marks can appear in men and women. In some instances, stretch marks can also happen to children during puberty.
- Upper arm stretch marks: The leading cause of these stretch marks is rapid weight loss or weight gain. You can often see these stretch marks on bodybuilders or those who have lost weight significantly.
Using a stretch mark cream
Using a stretch marks cream is particularly beneficial for women who have had a successful pregnancy and delivery. You can also use this cream if you see discolorations on your body. Mamaearth’s Stretch Mark Cream is your best bet in such cases because it is completely free from toxins and harmful chemicals.
- Shea butter in the stretch mark cream helps to accelerate healing, especially after surgery. Additionally, this ingredient is known to soothe and calm the skin with regular use. It is a source of natural nourishment to the body to keep it soft and supple.
- Milk proteins help calm dry and irritated skin. It helps to keep the skin hydrated and locks in moisture, keeping it soft and supple to the touch.
- Peptides help build new collagen, thus reducing the appearance of stretch marks. They also improve the skin’s elasticity and make it firmer.
5 Simple but effective tips to fade stretch marks
When one sees stretch marks on the body, their first thought is, “Do stretch marks go away?” Honestly, there is no black-and-white solution to this question.
Let’s look at some simple tips that can be a part of your lifestyle and skincare regime that can help to reduce stretch marks.
1. Incorporate aloe vera gel in your skincare routine | Pure and natural aloe vera gel is naturally soothing and moisturizing. It is packed with anti-inflammatory properties that help reduce redness and swelling in the skin.
You should take a generous amount of aloe vera gel and apply using gentle upward strokes where you spot the stretch marks. The gentle strokes also aid in blood circulation.
2. Massage with coconut oil | Pure coconut oil is rich in antioxidants and fatty acids that can nourish and protect the skin, and thus it works great for dry skin. Regular massage oils with coconut oil can nourish your skin and keep it hydrated. Coconut oil also helps to improve the elasticity of the skin, which helps to reduce the appearance of stretch marks.
Warm pure coconut oil using the double boiler method. Start applying the oil from the feet and move to the top of your body. Use gentle upward strokes to massage your body gently. Let the oil stay on the body for at least 30 minutes before you shower.
3. Try dry brushing | Dry brushing can help to loosen or soften the fat deposits under the skin. Doing so regularly allows the fat deposits to be distributed evenly, thereby reducing the appearance of stretch marks.
In the case of stretch marks, when you dry brush the skin, it helps produce extra collagen. This reduces the appearance of stretch marks.
Start with once or twice a week when you want to dry brush your skin. You should bathe after dry brushing and moisturize it to eliminate any inflammation of the skin.
4. Scrub away the stretch marks | Make a simple sugar scrub with ingredients available in your home. Scrubs are an excellent way to boost blood circulation to keep your skin healthy. In addition, scrubs can help to exfoliate dead skin and give way to new healthy skin cells.
Take two tablespoons of small sugar granules and one tablespoon of coffee and mix a suitable carrier oil with a few drops of your favorite essential oil. Mix well till all the ingredients are thoroughly mixed, and use this scrub once a week.
5. Stay hydrated | A hydrated body equals a healthy body. Drink three to four liters of water every day to stay hydrated. It can help to reduce the appearance of stretch marks.
Make your hydration journey enjoyable! Add some fresh fruits or lemon wedges and mint leaves in some water. This makes wonderful infused water that is even tasty to drink! You can also add smoothies, fresh fruits, and salads high in water content to amp your water intake.
We hope these tips have given you an insight into do stretch marks go away.
Incorporating a skincare regime when you have stretch marks
Now that we have answered your question on do stretch marks go away, let us look at how you can use skincare products in a simple routine that can help reduce the appearance of stretch marks.
- Body Scrub – A body scrub should be used at most once a week. Always use a gentle scrub that nourishes your skin as it exfoliates. Over-exfoliation can damage the skin by causing abrasions; in some cases, it can also lead to dry skin.
Exfoliating the skin can slough the dead cells and regenerate new skin cells. Done regularly, this helps reduce the appearance of stretch marks.
- Hand Cream – A hand cream can help reduce the stretch marks in the upper arms. Choose a hand cream that provides extra hydration to your skin and can also help reduce stretch marks on the upper arm.
- Body wash – You can use a safe and gentle body wash to cleanse your skin. Body washes are an excellent bathing option, especially the ones from the house of Mamaearth.
They are invigorating and maintain the pH balance of the skin. You can also use the Ubtan body wash with gentle beads to exfoliate the skin.
- Body Lotion – Body lotions help keep your skin hydrated because when a body lotion is applied, it helps lock in moisture and nourishes the skin. After a bath, you should use a moisturizer as the skin is more delicate and requires hydration to keep it soft and supple.
Wrapping it up
While stretch marks are common and not harmful, they can cause concern for many. Stretch marks can be treated with the application of topical creams and lotions. Sometimes, people can also opt for laser therapy or other cosmetic procedures for stretch marks removal treatment.
It is important to note that no matter what you do, stretch marks cannot be eliminated, but they do fade significantly. I hope that helps answer your question, “Do stretch marks go away?”
If the stretch marks are causing you any worries, you should consult a skin specialist who may recommend a skincare regime that can be followed. The next section will list some answers on the topic- do stretch marks go away?
- How to remove thigh stretch marks?
You can start following the simple tips mentioned in this post with a skincare and wellness regime that can help reduce stretch marks. Simple dietary changes, keeping your body hydrated, and using the right products can help to reduce stretch marks.
- Why do stretch marks occur in our body?
Stretch marks are caused by the rapid stretching of the skin, which can occur during pregnancy, puberty, rapid weight gain, or growth spurts.
When the skin stretches rapidly, the fibers in the middle layer of the skin (the dermis) can break or tear, leaving behind scar tissue.
- What causes stretch marks?
Rapid weight loss or weight gain, puberty, and hormonal changes in pregnancy can cause stretch marks to appear on the body.
- How to get rid of stretch marks on legs?
Use a stretch mark cream to get rid of stretch marks on the legs and even on areas where the stretch marks are present. Dab a generous stretch amount of the stretch mark cream and massage it till it is completely absorbed into the skin. Follow this in your AM and PM routine.
- How to prevent stretch marks?
You can prevent stretch marks by incorporating simple lifestyle changes and a good skincare routine to help reduce stretch marks' appearance. Drink lots of water to keep your body hydrated, and add a skincare regime like scrubbing, dry brushing, and massaging that can make your skin soft and healthy.
- Which stretch mark cream can I use after pregnancy to remove stretch marks?
You should try Stretch Marks Cream by Mamaearth in your daily skincare regime post-pregnancy. This stretch mark cream is specially formulated for new and nursing mums. This stretch mark cream is safe because it is entirely chemical-free and has zero toxins.
|Popular Search Terms|
how to get glowing skin naturally, how to remove sun tan from hands, how to use shower gel, best compact powder, what causes dark circles, how to reverse gray hair naturally, what is salicylic acid, Why pimples occur on face, What is Keratin & Why is it Essential for Hair, which perfume is best for men, is coconut oil good for hair, makeup tips for beginners, eyeliner styles you must try, how to grow thick hair, pigmentation face wash, best serum for acne prone skin, makeup tips for dusky skin tone, best oily skin moisturizer, facial kit for oily skin, oily skin sunscreen, Oily skin cream, best dry skin face wash, how to do makeup step by step, foundation for oily skin, eye makeup step by step,remove dark spots caused by pimples naturally