You’ve been eyeing that lipstick shade, and after much deliberation, you pick it up. Excited to use it for the party you’ve been waiting for, you are all prepped up and apply the lipstick only to be gutted because it is not apt for your skin tones.
It happens to the best of us, right?
Knowing your skin tones is the first step to identifying the colors you need in your makeup that best suit your skin. Next, it helps you identify the correct shade of foundation, concealer, and other makeup products you will need to make your makeup look right. Not overdone or underdone. So, to understand what makeup products you need, let’s identify your skin tone.
What are the Primary Skin Tone Shades that one can Identify?
Skin tones essentially fall into this category, and the types of skin tones are:
These are further divided based on your skin tones’ undertones. Sounds confusing? It isn’t. Let’s learn more about identifying skin tones and helping you select the right makeup products you need for your needs.
Give a try to Mamaearth Moisture Matte Long Stay Melon Red Lipstick with the natural goodness of Avocado Oil and Vitamin E.
These are further divided into different types of skin tones. Depending on the primary skin tone type, you can have the following skin tone types:
1. Tan skin tone
2. Pale skin tone
3. Dark skin tone
4. Light skin tone
5. Warm skin tone
6. Light brown skin tone
How to know your Skin Tone?
This is one of the most common questions asked before one sets out to get a makeup routine in place. While skin tone has been divided into four basic types with subsets, if you are new to this, let us help you identify your skin tone.
Three traditional undertones are identified with a skin tone. They can be neutral, cool, or warm.
What’s your skin tone?
Here is an easy way that beauty experts recommend to identify your skin tone and undertones.
Choose a room that has direct sunlight. Sit or stand in front of a mirror. Hold a piece of white paper against your skin with the natural light facing you. The white paper or a white sheet will help you understand your skin tone and undertone.
– If your skin looks flushed or pink in comparison, it means you have a cool undertone.
– If your skin looks yellowish, you have a warm undertone.
– If you don’t see much difference, you have a neutral undertone.
This simple exercise can help you understand your skin tone and undertone and give you an idea of what colors best suit you when applying makeup.
Decoding the best skin care regime
Your skincare is determined by the products you use. So, it is essential that you choose a skincare regime that is based on your skin type. And it doesn’t matter what your skin tone is because these products are not dependent on them, as one must follow a basic skincare regime. Once you know your skin type, setting a routine for your skin becomes easier.
“What products can I use daily in the morning for clear skin before I apply makeup?”
This is the essential list of skincare products that can be used in your regime. One vital point to keep in mind is to choose products that are clean and free from harsh chemicals.
The range of skincare products from Mamaearth are dermatologically tested and free from harsh toxins like parabens, sulfates, and more to give your skin the best it needs.
However, it is imperative that you always carry out a patch test before you use any product to eliminate any allergies you may have to a particular ingredient or ingredients in the products.
Here is what you will need in your daily skincare regime.
1. Face wash – A face wash is the first product you use for clean, clear, and healthy skin. It will remove dust, grime, and excess sebum and set the skin for the skincare products you will use next.
A face wash is critical to use in the PM regime as it lets you cleanse your skin from the traces of makeup you may have used during the day. Washing your face also helps eliminate built-up impurities and excess oils that may have accumulated as you have slept.
Tip: At Mamaearth, we are home to a wide range of safe and gentle face washes made of toxin-free ingredients. You may check our Ubtan, Activated Charcoal, Rice water, Tea Tree, and Vitamin C face washes today!
2. Face toner – A face toner is sprayed onto the skin to lock in moisture. It helps tighten the open pores and maintain the skin’s pH balance. This is the second product you will need to prep your skin before applying makeup.
3. Face gel – Best suited for those with oily skin, a face gel is a lightweight and fast-absorbing gel that can balance excess oil production and make your skin look dewy and supple without much effort.
These three steps are adequate if you have oily skin. However, for normal and combination skin, you can skip this step and move to step 4 (mentioned ahead).
4. Face moisturizer – A face moisturizer is best suited for those with a normal and combination skin type. It typically has a runny consistency and is fast-absorbing when applied on the face and the neck.
You should dab the moisturizer on the face and neck and work in upward strokes to let the moisturizer get completely absorbed into the skin. (Be sure to explore our exciting range of face moisturizers featuring Vitamin C, Tea Tree Oil, Rice water, and Aqua Gel today).
5. Face cream – Best suited for those with dry skin, a face cream can give your skin the long-lasting hydration that parched skin needs. Face creams are thicker in comparison to face moisturizers and face gels. When applying face cream, you should wait a couple of minutes before applying makeup so that it is completely absorbed into the skin before you start.
Once you have applied all of these products on the skin, you can move to apply the makeup on the skin for it to last long and settle well on the skin
What products can I use at night after removing makeup traces?
Your night care regime will include all the products mentioned from 1-5 in the AM routine. Since your skin will be rested at night, you need to use extra products to calm and nourish your skin as you sleep.
When you cleanse your skin in the evening, you can also opt for a foaming face wash with an in-built silicone brush that can gently exfoliate your skin. For example, you may opt for our Ubtan Foaming Face Wash (for skin brightening) or Tea Tree Foaming Wash (for acne removal).
Here are some of our best skincare products that you can use for your night care regime. Of course, these products should be applied before bed for the best results.
1. Sleeping mask – A sleeping mask gives your skin a boost of hydration as you sleep. These sleeping masks are packed with skin-rejuvenating ingredients that help to heal your skin while you catch up on your beauty sleep. Unlike conventional face masks, these don’t have to be wiped off after application.
2. Under-eye cream – An under-eye cream helps to soothe the delicate skin around the eyes. Pick an under-eye cream with an in-built massager that can boost the blood circulation around your eyes to reveal brighter eyes with consistent usage.
3. Anti-Pigmentation cream – If you have an uneven skin tone, you will need a pigmentation cream that will help reduce the intensity of blemishes and pigmentation, making your skin look sallow and dull.
Tip: We recommend you opt for our ‘Bye Bye Blemishes Face Cream for Reducing Pigmentation and Blemishes with Mulberry Extract and Vitamin C -30ml.’ It helps even skin tone and reduce dark spots. This non-greasy anti-pigmentation face cream is enriched with Vitamin C, Daisy Flower Extracts, Licorice Extracts, and Mulberry Extracts.
What skincare products can I use every week for clear skin?
These skincare products work best on the skin when used in a weekly regime. Overusing a face mask and scrub can dry out your skin and cause it to get inflamed, so the best way to use these skincare products is in a weekly regime to give your skin the TLC it needs on a weekend as you rest at home.
– Face scrub – A face scrub helps slough the dead skin and reveal new skin underneath. It is one of the best skincare products, regardless of skin type. Exfoliating the dead skin can help reduce the tan and eliminate dark spots and uneven skin tone with regular use. Choose a face scrub according to your skin type for the best results.
– Face mask – A face mask gives your skin instant hydration and nourishment in the comfort of your home. Clays in a face mask helps tighten the skin while drawing out any impurities.
In addition, a face mask’s other ingredients can help make your skin look radiant, soft, and supple. For example, you can opt for oily skin face masks with neem and tea tree.
Tip: For instant radiance, choose our Vitamin C Face Mask. For glass-like skin, you can opt for our Rice-Water-Based Face Mask.
– Face sheet masks – You can also use face sheet mask that are packed with hydrating serums. Place the sheet mask on the face for ten minutes and remove it. Then, use a face tool like a gua sha to massage your skin and let the serum soak in to make your skin feel soft.
The presence of serums in the sheet masks gives your skin a supple look. And it is one of the best products to use if you are pressed for time and want a radiant look in less than 15 minutes!
Wrapping it up
Now that you have identified the different skin tones, it is essential that you choose the makeup products accordingly. Always pick up shades for foundations, concealers, and compacts closest to your skin tone so that it blends seamlessly onto the skin and does not make it look patchy. Even, you can try our amla products for hair range for shiny hair.
Choose makeup products that will nourish your skin when applied. For example, the color range from Mamaearth, an exclusive range of all makeup products, has been formulated with skin-loving ingredients. As a result, they have a fabulous range of foundations, concealers, compacts, kohls, lip and cheek tints, and lipsticks that are long-lasting and soothing on the skin.
You may opt for our Glow Oil Control Compact With SPF 30. Enriched with Vitamin C and Turmeric, it offers a 12-hour oil control with two times instant glow and a talc-free texture. In addition, this toxin-free skincare product is available in four different colors to suit different skin tones.
Formulated specifically for Indian skin tones, you will find something for which your skin will always thank you. Let’s move on to commonly asked questions about identifying skin tones and the types of skin tones one may have.
- What does skin tone mean?
Skin tone means the shade that your skin falls under. It can be light, fair, medium, or dark. Understanding your skin tone can help you identify the correct shade of foundation, concealer, and other makeup products you will need in your makeup regime.
- What is a normal skin tone?
The most common or normal skin tone in India depends on the region you are from. For example, Indians residing in the northernmost region are fair-skinned. In contrast, the Indians in the southernmost region can have a wheatish complexion because of the Dravidian influence. Similarly, Indians in the northeastern region have a warm yellow skin tone.
- Which skin tone is the best?
It would be best if you accepted that all skin tones are attractive! There is no benchmark for a good or bad skin tone. You need to be accepting of your skin tone.
- How do I know if a concealer is right for my skin tone?
A concealer is used after you have blended the foundation on the skin. The right way to choose a concealer is to pick a shade closest to your foundation’s color.
As the name suggests, a concealer is used to conceal dark spots that need extra attention after applying the foundation. The concealer is applied under the eyes, on the jawline and the chin, and any other spots a foundation does not cover.
When applied, it should blend completely without making your skin look cakey or patchy.
- How do I know if a compact is suitable for my skin tone?
A compact is used to settle the makeup, and it is used after you have blended the foundation and concealer on the skin. The right way to choose a foundation is to pick a shade closest to the color of your foundation and concealer.
When applied, it should blend completely without making your skin look cakey or patchy.
|Popular Search Terms|
cream for face, thick hair, how to use concealer, best toothpaste, body spray for women, how to treat dry skin on face, how to stop grey hair naturally, how to get rid of dandruff and hair fall, Tea tree oil for acne, is honey good for face,Is rice water good for hair?, how to hydrate skin, what is pigmentation on face, Premature graying of hair, what is spf in sunscreen, rice bran oil benefits, how to apply serum to hair, what causes hair fall, what is hair serum, how to use toner on face, is smoothening good for hair, Apply the Foundation on the face, how to make hair soft and silky, how to remove pigmentation from face permanently at home, what causes dark spots on face, why pigmentation comes on face