Blame it on the fairy tales or the daily soaps you watch, some of us have a liking for longer hair. But we live in challenging times when our lifestyle is affected by stress, poor nutritional values, and irregular sleep cycles, which are made worse by inadequate hair care routines. The smartest way to negate their negatives is to opt for a safe vitamin supplement called Biotin, which works great for haircare.
Our hair is also our passport to the world stage. Therefore, it is critical that we devote our time and attention to them in our daily lives. We are thus exploring the basics of Biotin, how it benefits the health of our hair, and how it can be included in our daily hair care routine.
Say ‘Hello’ to Biotin
Part of the Vitamin B7 family, it is a key nutrient for the body as it assists in the metabolic functioning of the body. It is an important water-soluble form of Vitamin B that helps control fatty acids and glucose. It helps break down food and converts the nutrients into energy our body requires for day-to-day functioning. It also helps generate new cells and proteins within the skin, muscles, bones, nails, and hair.
Did you know?Also known as Vitamin H, Biotin is created naturally by bacteria in your intestines. Apart from what is stored and used to convert the nutrients, the body does not store its excess amounts.
Biotin-enriched foods such as eggs, avocado, fish, meat, dairy products, vegetables & fruits, and whole wheat bread are good sources of this vitamin. Experts advise using biotin for hair growth to help address more serious issues like balding and premature graying.
Symptoms and Causes of Biotin Deficiency
If you regularly eat nutritious foods, you can stay free from the deficiency of this vitamin. But you can consult a doctor and get a blood test if you feel the symptoms. If you’re taking enough Biotin in your daily lifestyle, you will not face the following skincare or haircare issues:
- Hair thinning and Hair Loss
- Skin rashes or dry skin
- Weak Immune System
- Weak memory retaining power
One in 1,40,000 persons may have a deficiency of biotinidase. It may be caused due to various factors, such as:
- Medication: Some medicinal treatments, such as antibiotics and anti-seizure drugs, prevent your body from absorbing the vitamins. They destroy the good bacteria that produce Biotin.
- Intravenous feeding: Food taken from an intravenous vein doesn’t contain all the nutrients as they are all liquid and may cause a deficiency of some nutrients such as Vitamin B7. This may make matters worse for people facing hair loss and metabolism.
- Irregular Dieting: Prolonged dieting can cause adverse effects on the body and prevent your body from getting the nutrient-enriched diet required.
- Intestinal Disorders: Serious intestinal disorders may prevent your body’s ability to extract nutrients from the food consumed.
- Genetic Disorders: Several genetic disorders, such as holocarboxylase synthetase deficiency, biotin transport deficiency, and phenylketonuria, can prevent the formation of Biotin in the body.
Biotin and Hair Growth
Also known as Vitamin H for ‘Haar and Hout,’ meaning ‘hair and skin’ in German. When considering biotin for controlling hair loss, you should know that it can offer a considerable amount of hair growth to your scalp. However, it helps produce a protein called ‘keratin’ which is essential for healthy hair.
Our hair is mostly made up of keratin. Biotin helps maintain the keratin structure in your body. This nutrient promotes the faster growth of healthy hair, nails, and skin. It also provides many essential nutrients that prevent hair discoloration and hair fall, provides strength to hair, and reduces dandruff.
Benefits of Biotin for Hair and Skin
Thanks to the recent development in the haircare industry, this vitamin is the key nutrient in our body’s proper functioning. The following pointers would explain why you should consider adding it to your hair care regimen:
- Regulates metabolism levels: Biotin helps regulate and improve body metabolism levels. It assists in converting the nutrients into energy our body utilizes in daily chores.
- Promotes heart health: Vitamin B7 benefits heart health by stimulating the blood flow inside the heart that prevents the heart from any cardiovascular diseases.
- Shields the cuticles: Using biotin for routine haircare plans helps protect hair stands by providing strength and boosting their length. It also protects the cuticles from getting ruptured.
- Assist healthy brain function: Vitamin H is essential for the proper functioning of the brain by promoting the formation of Myelin Sheath, a fatty substance used for protecting the brain.
- Boots immunity: Regular intake of nutrients enriched foods will help you get the desired amount of white blood cells, promoting the body’s immunity.
- Regulates blood sugar levels: Biotin is quite effective in slowing down the advent of diabetes by controlling insulin production in the pancreas. It also improves the glucose levels in the body.
- Repairs tissues and muscles: Besides treating health problems, biotin effectively repairs damaged tissues and muscles for better functioning. It also provides anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory benefits to the skin, preventing problems in tissues and muscles.
- Maintains healthy skin and nails: Facing various skincare concerns and dry & brittle nails? We recommend maintaining a regular intake of Biotin, which produces fatty acids as it nourishes the skin.
- Provides lustrous locks: Regular intake of Biotin ensures a supply of several nutrients and antioxidants that provide shine to the hair strands.
- Combats hair loss: Backed by anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties, this vitamin helps fight bacteria that cause inflammation, resulting in hair thinning and hair loss.
- Promotes healthy hair and scalp: Biotin benefits our hair strands by building the keratin structure. It also provides more volume and density to the hair and encourages scalp coverage.
Are biotin supplements beneficial for hair growth?
When taking biotin supplements for hair growth, we advise you to opt for a Biotin-enriched diet or a hair care routine. It should primarily feature vitamin H-enriched products to correct the deficiency of biotin in your body. However, you may also take vitamin H supplements to promote hair growth and control hair loss.
If you are planning to include biotin for hair, we advise you to consult a dermatologist before. When this nutrient is combined with other nutrients like amino acids and proteins, it produces enhanced results as it encourages hair growth and nourishes hair follicles. Although you suffer from its deficiency, you should consult a doctor and a haircare expert for a faster resolution.
Ways to Incorporate Biotin for Healthy Hair
If you’re aiming to achieve healthy hair growth, you need to focus on both: topical solutions as well as maintain a healthy food intake. So let’s see how you can include biotin in different ways in your daily routine:
- Biotin-rich diet: A perfect solution to consuming Biotin is to have them naturally through the foods we consume daily. Apart from eggs and nuts, various other sources are Raspberries, Cucumbers, Oats, strawberries, Chicken, fruits, Soybeans, Litchi, Paneer, Papaya, Dates, and sunflower seeds.
- Biotin supplements: Another way to reap the benefits of biotin for Hair is to consume it in the form of biotin supplements such as pills, gummies, powder, and capsules. The key is to stay consistent with your nutritional intake.
- Biotin patch: The third and easiest way to attain the goodness of Biotin for hair via supplements is to use the biotin patches on the skin. It can be placed on the shoulders, backs, or hips. This would ensure better transdermal delivery and release of this nutrient into your bloodstream.
- Using biotin-enriched products for hair: If you do not consider any of the above benefits, you may set up a healthy hair care routine with natural hair care products like ours. These topical applications directly provide the best nutrition and nourishment to the hair cells.
Building a healthy hair care routine
Having a healthy diet complements hair growth. Another way to promote healthy hair growth is to opt for a hair care routine that complements your growth and ensures long, lustrous, and healthy hair. We’ll help you formulate one, and that too with Biotin-enriched products that are natural, safe, and healthy.
Step 1: Identify your hair type and hair concerns:
Assuming your hair type and choosing products could be the wrong decision. The first step is to know which type of hair you have. If you aren’t sure about your hair type, you should consult a haircare expert and follow a personalized haircare routine.
Step 2: Applying oil to your hair:
When you start your hair care routine, you need to apply the hair oil to your hair once or twice a week. A regular massage with oil will enhance the scalp’s health and treat most of your hair woes.
When picking the best hair growth oil for your scalp and hair, be sure that it is safe, made of natural ingredients, and toxin-free such as Mamaearth Onion Hair Oil. Massaging the oil will strengthen the hair, reduce hair fall, and soften the hair.
Step 3: Washing down the hair:
After applying the oil to your hair and scalp, the next step you will perform after 4-5 hours or the next day is rinsing them with a toxin-free hair shampoo. It will help you eliminate dirt, impurities, and sebum that clog the scalp, stopping hair growth.
Dampen the hair completely before applying shampoo, as it will assist in distributing the shampoo properly. You may try Mamaearth Apple Cider Vinegar Shampoo. It features Biotin and Organic Apple Cider Vinegar. These ingredients help strengthen the hair roots and make them soft & shiny.
Step 4: Conditioning the hair:
Due to exposure to harmful environmental stressors or excessive washing, our scalp and hair lose their natural oils and moisture, essential for hair protection and growth. Therefore, applying a natural hair conditioner after washing them becomes essential. Go for Mamaearth Apple Cider Vinegar, which provides lustrous, soft, and healthy hair.
Step 5: Pamper your hair strands:
A deep conditioning treatment from root to tip is crucial for your hair once a week. It makes the hair follicles strong, soft, and smooth. It also helps reduce frizz and reverse the damage caused. We recommend opting for a deep-conditioning natural hair mask such as Mamaearth’s Apple Cider Vinegar Hair Mask. It helps make the hair softer, shinier, and healthier.
Step 6: Style and protect your crown with hair serum:
Our crown needs protection from environmental pollutants and several hair-styling tools. Applying a coat of Mamaearth Onion Hair Serum, enriched with the Onion and best biotin for hair growth, helps reduces frizz & tangles. It also reverses hair damage and keeps split ends away.
Apart from hair woes, biotin deficiency can cause many health problems. Regular intake of Biotin for hair via biotin-enriched foods could help your hair growth by making it long, lustrous, and strong. It would help you alleviate various other health concerns too.
We advise you to carefully pick the hair care products after examining the ingredients. You should thus choose a hair care brand that is home-grown and natural such as Mamaearth. It is Asia’s 1st MadeSafe Certified Brand that formulates natural ingredients and helps get healthy and lustrous hair.
- Is biotin good for hair?
Yes. Increasing your biotin intake may help make your hair stronger and more resistant to falling out. Biotin is a common over-the-counter supplement that helps promote healthier hair growth.
- How does biotin help with hair growth? (What does biotin do to your hair? Or How biotin works for hair?)
Biotin, also known as vitamin B7, stimulates keratin production in hair and can increase follicle growth rate.