October 5, 2017 0 Amit Mama
Development of a healthy fetus is what every mother dreams of! During pregnancy, all she cares is the baby’s sound development. And thus readily follows everything that is told to her to be beneficial for the baby. Among those many things is DHA that every expecting mother should consume. What exactly is DHA and why is it important for expecting mother and baby? DHA or Docosahexaenoic acid is a polyunsaturated fatty acid that is necessary for the body to be able to function in a healthy way. Commonly known as omega -3, -6 and -9 fatty acid it is not produced in the body, hence it needs to be supplemented with the food. This specific acid is important for brain, eyes, and heart. However, when it comes to expecting mamas, consumption of omega -3, -6 and -9 fatty acid or DHA becomes all the more important. Before a baby is born, DHA gets absorbed by the mama’s bloodstream and helps in the development of baby’s brain, nervous system, and eyes. It is very important to provide an adequate amount of DHA to an expecting mama so that she is able to provide for her little one during the gestation period. Reasons as to why DHA supplementation is beneficial for expecting mamas?
- According to WebMD, researchers have found that a higher amount of DHA in the bloodstream of expecting mothers had kids with higher levels of attention span as compared to those who had low amounts of DHA in their bloodstream.
- Consuming it ensures that both mama and baby will be able to increase their immunity levels and will gain well-developed joints and stronger bones.
- Consuming DHA enriched food helps in the maintenance of cell membranes of different organs in our body.
- DHA also aids in improving cognitive function in both mama and baby.
- Mama’s skin also gets a bright and glowing appearance due to the inclusion of foods containing DHA.