It all started during the early days of the Heian Period (794 AD- 1185 AD) in Ancient Japan when the ladies of the Royal Court figured out that they could also use rice water for hair. It had medicinal and therapeutic properties that helped them maintain thicker, stronger, longer, and shinier hair. Known as Yu-Su-Ru, this household preparation of Japan’s staple crop subsequently became the secret ingredient for adding shine and smoothness among the masses.
Fast forward to 2022, and you would still find most people throwing away the whitish water left after soaking or cooking the rice- even though it can be quite an effective remedy for treating dull and unmanageable hair. Some qualified studies conclusively prove that rice water does contain a mix of vitamins and proteins for hair nourishment.
Such studies have also found that the key ingredient in rice water is inositol, a nutrient that’s found only in fiber-enriched foods. Its regular application helps condition dry hair, reduce frizz, and improve its elasticity. This nutrient is also enriched with antioxidants that reduce the oxidative stress in the hair cells and accelerate hair growth.
Seven Rice Water Benefits for Hair Routine
Many prominent hair stylists, especially those in the Southern or Eastern Asian region strongly advise availing the benefits of rice water for hair regrowth. Being rich in starch content, rice water shields thin hair strands, making them thicker and adding strength to the entire structure of the hair. Its regular use also helps improve and support the scalp.
There are eight smart ways in which rice water is good for hair, and we welcome you to try them:
- Rice water is enriched with vitamins and minerals that help repair and replenish hair texture. It also contains amino acids that provide sulfur to hair cells, improves hair elasticity, and strengthens roots.
- It helps treat unmanageable and frizzy hair. Inositol in rice water penetrates damaged hair and replenishes it from the inside out.
- The antioxidants in rice water help reverse the damage caused due to environmental aggressors such as the sun, pollution, and weather. Prolonged exposure to such triggers can even lead to premature graying. Applying rice water helps boost cell regeneration rate and reduce premature graying.
- Rice water works on the strands and provides high-quality nutrition to the scalp. It enriches the hair roots with vitamin B, E, fiber, magnesium, manganese, and zinc, thus encouraging a healthy scalp environment.
- Rice water benefits colored, dyed and chemically-treated hair by promoting elasticity, and reducing breakage and dryness.
- Using this household preparation neatly plugs that gap between the current and required nutrition levels of the hair roots. Dry and split ends need intense hydration. So, rinsing the hair strands with lukewarm rice water helps moisten and enliven the drier ends.
- Rice water also contains starch. If you have a dry and itchy scalp, you may want to reap the maximum benefits of rice water on your hair. When mixed with other emollients and oils, it nourishes the hair and soothes irritation.
Tip: You can use a bottle to spray it directly on the scalp. Use gentle strokes to stimulate better blood circulation to the scalp.
Mamaearth Rice Water Shampoo
Sometimes, we fail to realize or reap the benefits of using rice water for hair due to inadequate preparation or improper application. This is why hair care experts recommend opting for hair care products that primarily contain these ingredients to ensure better absorption of all nourishing ingredients. We thus welcome you to try our toxin-free hair care range for extended benefits, no matter what your hair type is.
Mamaearth’s Rice Water Shampoo and Conditioner are two products you might want to try. With their paraben-free formula, they nourish, moisturize, and hydrate the roots and help you have longer and shinier hair. The duo works just as effectively for nurturing the scalp and strengthening weak and brittle hair.
Our Rice Water Shampoo and Conditioner sports a thoughtful blend of the following nourishing ingredients. They help strengthen the hair follicles and safeguard the cuticles from the sun’s UV radiation. These products are safe for regular use and can be used by people over fifteen of age.
Ingredients in Mamaearth Rice Water Shampoo and Conditioner
- Fermented Rice Water: Rich in vitamin B, C, and E, rice water is a proven hair repair formula for dull and damaged hair. It also reduces surface tension and enhances elasticity.
- Keratin: Keratin helps nourish the hair cells. This helps reduce frizz and seasonal dryness, and also works to make hair look shinier and glossy.
- Wheat Protein: This powerhouse of amino acids keeps the hair moisturized and hydrated, enhancing hair volume and thickness.
- Coconut Oil: Coconut oil helps lock in moisture to the hair. Rich in triglycerides, it helps prevent split ends and makes the hair more manageable.
How to use Rice Water for Hair?
The ancient Japanese tradition of using rice water to address multiple commonplace hair care issues works for all types and textures of hair. We thus suggest three smart uses of rice water for a better hair care experience that you may use to reap maximum benefits:
- Use it to rinse the scalp: You can traditionally use this whitish solution after you have shampooed your hair. We recommend washing your hair as usual and then using rice water on your scalp, like a primer for your hair. You should then allow it to sit for five to ten minutes. Post that, you should follow it up with your regular conditioner and then rinse it off.
- Use it with your shampoo and conditioner: Avoid using rice water directly on your hair if you have a dry or flaky scalp. Blending rice water with shampoo and Rice water conditioner or your preferred hair oil is a better way to provide deep moisturization to the roots.
- Use as a nourishing remedy: If you want to earn maximum benefits from rice water, you may want to leave it for an extended period. Use rice water post shampooing and conditioning, allowing it to sit on your hair for 15 to 20 minutes and then rinsing off.
Rice water has quite a reputation for treating lifeless and dull hair. But it is better to go for specialized products instead of DIY preparations to avail of a wider range of rice water benefits for hair care. This would save you from many hassles as you start applying them to your scalp.
Mamaearth’s Rice Water Shampoo and Conditioner work very effectively and help you achieve healthier and longer hair with regular use. It also helps bring back life to split ends by reversing the damage incurred due to environmental changes or styling tools.
- What is rice water?
Rice water is the starchy water obtained from sieving boiled rice. It is saturated with multiple vitamins and minerals to support the scalp. Using it for your regular hair care regimen strengthens the strands, strengthens the hair cuticles, and boosts the shine.
- How to use rice water?
To use rice water, soak half a cup of uncooked rice in 2 cups of water for 24 hours at room temperature. Now strain the mixture and store rice water in a small container or spray bottle for easy application. Refrigerate the solution until the next use. To use it, you should first wash your hair with shampoo and rinse it off. Next, towel dry your hair and pour the water onto the scalp, massaging gently. Let it stay applied for up to 20 minutes and rinse off to soft and silky hair.
Popular Search Terms- hyaluronic acid skin benefits, niacinamide serum benefits, What is Witch Hazel?, Lavender Oil Benefits, Face Scrub Uses, Bhringraj Oil Benefits, Benefits of Rose water, Avocado Oil for hair, Vitamin e benefits for skin, Shea Butter Benefits, Vitamin C Serum Benefits, Turmeric benefits for skin, best underarm whitening cream, Almond oil benefits, Apple Cider Vinegar Benefits for Skin, lipstick shades for indian skin, Lip Care Tips, Rice Water for Skin