The hair on the brush, hair on the pillow, hair in the bathroom drain, hair on the floor, hair on the car seat, hair in your baby’s mouth! Hair! Hair! Everywhere! Are you shedding hair by the locks? Does every day seem like a bad hair day? Motherhood can be an overwhelming experience, especially when your emotions and hormones are all over the place and so is your beautiful mane which seemed to be at its best when you were pregnant, but is now shedding like there is no tomorrow.
Well, you are not alone. Postpartum hair fall is quite normal for new moms. Falling estrogen levels due to hormonal changes are the primary reason for hair loss and to add to it, stress and fatigue take a toll on your hair. You can lose up to 500 strands per day. The hair texture changes and it can look very brittle and lifeless. It can be very depressing! It usually peaks during the fourth-month post delivery and settles down by the time your baby is a year old. However, why wait a year when you can try these tips to restore your beautiful locks?
Tips to Reduce Postpartum Hair fall
- Healthy Diet
- First, try to have a healthy and a balanced diet.
- Diet rich in iron, zinc, vitamin C, B complex and other essential nutrients when consumed on a regular basis can help reduce hair fall.
- Avoid junk food and aerated drinks.
- Add Volume
- Massaging your scalp on a regular basis helps in increasing blood circulation and promoting hair growth.
- Use lukewarm oil and gently move your fingertips in a circular motion for 5-10 minutes every day.
- Coconut oil, and almond oil are the best but you can also use medicated oils like Bhringraj Oil, Arnica oil, Amla oil, or Rosemary Oil.
- A good massage will also leave you relaxed and calm.
- Go Zen!
- Your state of mind can affect your hair.
- De-stress and adopt a Zen-like state of mind.
- Try stress reduction techniques like meditation, yoga, exercise, nature walks, laughter therapy, pet therapy – any hobby that de-stresses you.
- This is the best time to experiment with your looks or rather locks.
- If you have long hair, maintaining it this time around can be tedious and impossible.
- So try to go for a shorter hair. It will grow back in no time.
- Hair mask
- The best solution for busy moms who cannot step out.
- It is the latest deep conditioning hair treatment. Nourishes your hair from within.
- It is an expensive treatment in spas and salons, but some readymade hair masks can also work wonders for your hair.Go for more affordable prices like MamaEarth’s Argan Oil Hair Mask for Moms, which has all the essential ingredients needed to combat hair fall.
- Hair Masks can be homemade too, but it is time-consuming to find the ingredients, measure the proportions and make a hair mask with a baby in hand.
Ingredients to look for in a Hair Mask
A hair mask is essentially made of oils, butter, and other nutrients in the right proportion needed to moisturize your hair. An imbalance in these ingredients can cause an imbalance in the hair texture. Here are some of the primary ingredients that you should look for in a hair mask.
- Argan Oil
- It is the magic oil, which actually reverses the damage done to hair by harsh chemical products.
- High in Vitamin E, which helps promote healthy hair growth, as it, contains antioxidants.
- Proven to make hair softer, silkier, and shinier.
- Avocado Oil
- This super oil detangles your hair perfectly, without making your hair too oily, thanks to its lubricating nature!
- Also, helps in preventing hair loss and other dandruff-related problems largely.
- Avocado oil contains healthy doses of Vitamin E and B, both essential for nourishing and strengthening your hair.
- Tea Tree Oil
- Found to have antifungal, antibacterial, antiseptic, antiviral, and anti-infection properties.
- Induces hair growth and actually helps in unclogging hair follicles by removing dead cells while nourishing and moisturizing your roots.
- Used as a great dandruff cure for ages.
- Coconut Oil
- The best natural conditioner you can find for all types of hair.
- It not only stimulates hair growth but also moisturizes dry hair.
- Also, prevents hair breakage and split ends, contributing to long hair length.
- Shea Butter
- Repairs damaged hair and split ends, as it is rich in Vitamin A and E.
- It moisturizes dull, lifeless, brittle hair by hydrating and softening it.
- Also, known to aid in the re-growth of hair follicles.
- Keeps the hair conditioned by sealing in the moisture in your hair.
- Reduces breakage and has rich antioxidant and antiseptic properties.
- It not only boosts hair growth but also stimulates hair re-growth from dormant follicles.
- Green Tea
- It contains Vitamin B, which helps control split ends, softens your hair, and strengthens your hair follicle.
- Also has an anti-inflammatory property that helps stop hair loss.
- This long chain amino acid is the most abundant protein stored naturally in the body and accounts for 30% of all proteins in the body.
- Aging, stressful life and gut imbalance can lead to declining collagen levels making your hair weak and brittle.
- Collagen enriched mask will strengthen the hair, ensuring that it does not break and become brittle.
There you go pretty mama, now you know how to stay pretty through sleepless nights too! If you cant be bothered to try schedule each of the above ingredients in your daily routine, get MamaEarth’s Argan Oil Hair Mask, which worked wonders for me. Mamaearth’s products have been tested dermatologically on the sensitive human skin for allergic reactions in highest standard lab QACS of Europe.
The hair mask is Asia’s 1st Made Safe Certified product. It does not contain any harmful chemicals like alcohol, parabens, phthalates, mineral oil, PEG & fragrances. Even better, it is available online. No matter how hard it is, always try to make time for yourself. A mama, who cares for herself, cares better for others.