May 2, 2017 0 Debolima Coomar
Hey! Congratulations on your new motherhood! Isnt that what you have been hearing for a while now? But who knows whats going through your mind! Are you worried that you may be unknowingly, or unintentionally harming your baby? Who should you listen to while buying your products? The advertisements? Or your Mother/Mother in law? Or your friend? You feel like pampering yourself – but what are the best products that you can use?
STOP – if you thought that what you use on your body externally will not harm your baby as long as he/she is in your fetus, there is some news for you. Truth is, the umbilical cord has been designed to carry the necessary ingredients of life for the baby to grow. But the poor umbilical cord has not been designed to differentiate between chemicals, pollutants and pesticides.This could have an impact the fetus and harm the development of the soon to be born baby.
Simple things like body lotion, body wash and other products we use externally are also absorbed by the skin and fed to the fetus. So, it is important you choose these products smartly as well.
Research has shown that various chemicals and pollutants were found in babies– amongst them were eight chemicals which are used as stain and oil repellants in fast food packaging, clothes.
Pregnancy brings along with it other discomforts – like dry skin and other skin disorders. You obviously use a body lotion to soothe your skin. You should be aware that there are various chemicals found in your regular body lotions and are can cause harm to the baby. Some of them are given below-
- Butylated Hydroxyanisole (BHA) – is a food preservative which is present in body lotions, lipstick etc. It is an endocrine disruptor and is known to be a human carcinogen.
- DMDM Hydantoin– is an irritant to the skin and used in body lotions. While there is no evidence that it is cancerous, it is a type of formaldehyde releasing preservative.Formaldehyde by itself is known to have carcinogenic properties.
- Fragrance – Wow! The smell of strawberries in your lotion. Who would not like that? But when you are pregnant, beware of lotions with artificial scents. This could be due to the presence of diethyl phthalate and is present in body lotions and insecticides.
- Parabens – Have you taken a closer look at the contents of your lotion? Just look for butylparaben, isobutylparaben, methylparaben, propylparaben, or ethylparaben on the label. They prevent the growth of bacteria and fungus in your bottle, so that the lotion stays fresh. The downside is that they are linked to hormone disruption and breast cancer. Read more about these harmful ingredients that you must avoid
- Retinyl Palmitate- a Vitamin A derivative which is present in some sunscreens and lotions which are supposed to have anti-aging properties. Research has shown that mice which were exposed to this chemical developed a large number of tumors when exposed to sunlight.
- Triethanolamine – Quite a mouthful to pronounce and considered slightly dangerous as per the Dermatology Review. It is a skin and respiratory irritant and has been linked to cancer in animal studies.
So what is it that you can use to moisturise your body? After some extensive research, Mama Earth brings to you Asia's 1'st MadeSafe Certified Lotion for the mama to be. We can proudly say that this has been tested in in highest standard lab QACS of Europefor skin sensitivity and allergic reactions. It does not contain chemicals that harm the skin, like parabens, phthalates, mineral oil, PEG and fragrances, some of which we have talked about. How about trying it out?
MamaearthLotion contains –
- Smooth Shea butter-which has some great moisturising properties. It is a solid fatty oil which is obtained from the nuts of the Magnifolia trees and found in Africa. The tree bears fruits and the nuts contain shea butter. It has gained huge popularity in the world of make-up and is used in cosmetics due to its antioxidant properties and presence of vitamins, which make the skin glow. It also has skin strengthening properties. The legendary beauty, Nefertiti, the Egyptian Queen owed her beauty secrets to shea butter!
- Aloevera and Calendula extract- Aloe isa natural remedy for acne. Fights aging. Acts as a moisturiser. Reduces redness and inflammation caused by acne in a natural way. Calendula speeds up the healing process, improves skin appearance and is a great moisturiser for severely chapped skin.
- Jojoba oil -prevents the skin from becoming too dry or oily. It is extracted from the SimmondsiaChinensis (a shrub) and closely looks like sebum, which is a waxy substance produced by our skin It acts like a natural skin conditioner and has a nutty smell and golden color in the raw form, but is completely odorless in the refined form.As it is a waxy substance, it seals in the moisture and creates a barrier to external elements.It negates the need for any perfuming agents and is a carrier oil for essential oils.It is readily accepted by the body as it is structurally close to the secretion of the glands in our skin. Jojoba also has antibacterial properties, is a moisturiser and relieves the skin of itchiness.
- Geranium oil has three wonderful properties – antibacterial, antifungal and antiseptic. It is a natural cleanser and helps to rejuvenate the skin. It is known to give beautiful, radiant skin and is used to treat acne, alleviate anxiety and balance hormones. The sweet-smelling oil is also used to uplift you, lessen fatigue and promote wellness and is therefore commonly used in aromatherapy. Being non- toxic and a non-irritant it is one of the best oils available for dermatological issues.
Can you see yourself experiencing this by massaging the body lotion? Yes, it has the best ingredients which will keep you and baby healthy, happy and most importantly, safe.
References: > http://www.rodalesorganiclife.com/wellbeing/the-6-most-harmful-ingredients-found-in-body-lotion